Loss

• 5 replies
  • 28 subscribers

My partner was diagnosed 21April and died 1 July of a brain tumour. Up until then he’d been working full time and being treated for sinus infection. I took him to hospital that day as thought he was having a stroke, then the tumour was found. Three weeks in hospital was horrendous experience with the two bank holidays also, a month at home with mixed experiences of carers and district nurses and just the system itself and then thankfully for the care sand support, his final three weeks in a hospice.  I feel I’ve been grieving as well as caring for these past weeks when you are on adrenaline and autopilot and now I’m grievingg. is there any thought to the trauma of caring for your dying loved one. Is there any thought to something like PTSD?Support is provided a month or so after death but I lost him in April in some ways. I am getting on with things but not able to stay in our house at the moment. How do people deal with that side of things? 

• sorry to hear this. Keep your self busy and make sure your day is palnned, morning to night

• Thank you. I try x

• JHR, I think I know what you mean.  I was on autopilot for about 4 months, towards the end when he was being cared for in a nursing home I would visit every other day, and give myself a "day off" in between as it was often so harrowing for me.  The nursing home staff supported me and I found this helped.  The times I'd put on a brave face for him but leave in floods of tears, making sure he didn't witness it.  I took it upon myself to think his situation was 100 times worse than anything I was experiencing,  so it was inevitable that after his death, and dealing with the funeral and the admin (a lot of it, I'm still dealing now) I found myself on that rapid downward slope.  I just let it all out, I had/have the support of a particularly good friend, she let me ring her 24/7 if I needed to.  Take help and comfort from those around you, and take a day at a time.  It really helps.  Wishing you peace x 

• Thank you. Yes it is autopilot and a routine I guess which you lose and need to make a new one. I’m staying with family as can’t face staying at home although do pop back. I’m not sure if that’s the right approach, whether it will make it harder to live there in the future and whether I can ever make it ‘my’ home . He was doing it up and there are lots of his unfinished jobs, rooms etc although it is liveable. 

• Hello JHR!

So sorry to hear about your partner. I have just lost mine also. I get the autopilot thing at minute I just feel that everything is standing still. His funeral is this coming Friday and I am just at a loss as where to be or how I should be. Like you, I'm also wondering whether I should stay here or move elsewhere. When they told him at the end of last year he was looking at 9 months-1 year (he got 7 months) I decided I didn't want to be living here when he was gone. I don't know if it was just the shock or panic of me being without him that prompted me to think like this. He said to me why would I want to move as we are mortgage free and If I moved somewhere else I may need to start paying rent again because I could never afford to buy a house on my own. We put our names forward for sheltered housing my sister lives in a complex not far from us and it's lovely its only about 30 flats but the usual the ones who are there don't want to move and you only get one if someone passes or moves into a care home and the waiting list is seems is as long as your arm. So I'm really undecided on that just now it's the usual `do I move or improve` early days yet just need to see how the next few months pan out. I know I'll feel that bit more vulnerable now living here on my own and moreso when the dark winter nights come in but the beauty is that I am in an upper flat so I'm not on the ground floor at least. My head is just `mush` just now and I know I'm just not thinking clearly. Best Wishes to you. 

xx