Hello I'm New Here

• 11 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hello Everyone!

I am new here my husband Jay has just literally passed 2 days ago. He passed in hospital after an almost 2 year fight with bowel cancer. He fought so hard and took everything that they could throw at him but in the end this beast of a disease decided it was taking him one way or another. At the minute everything just feels so surreal as if it is happening to someone else but that someone else is me. I am quite calm about everything now as if it is a sort of relief that his fight is over but he's not here now and I'm finding that hard to sink in and process that he is actually gone but know he is no longer suffering. I also find it strange now to talk about him in the past tense instead of `we have` is now `we had`. for example. We were best friends and soulmates for 40 years so a lifetime of memories to remember. All sorts are going through my head at the moment sadness, calmness, anxiety, anger all rolled in together. He had went into hospital in January 2022 and had all the cancer cut out and everything was clear so he was at the time he thought in the clear and it had all gone. I asked about post op chemotherapy but they said because everything was clear post chemo was not necessary and it not necessary it wouldn't be done. Five months down the line however, it was back so obviously cells too small to detect on a scan were missed and left to form again. I feel very bitter about that that they felt no post op chemo was needed but looking back at the time you are so elated when they tell you the cancer is gone that you are going to believe them when they say this is not necessary because in the end they are the experts but now I wonder if he did go through the post op chemo he would still be here now. We were not even given the option of post op chemo even though I asked if he could have it as a precaution. to stop it coming back at least. After he found out his cancer was back, he was started again on chemotherapy and at the time they put it across in a way that the recurrence wasn't as invasive as we thought so thought well a couple of zaps of chemotherapy will rid him of it. Unfortunately though, this is when all his problems began. After four sessions of CAPOX he became very ill and it had to be stopped and then after a break of a few months he was started on a new regime of 5FU (Irinotecan and Folfox). he only got to complete one session of that before he became very dehydrated and his kidney function dropped. He was then admitted to hospital where they finally diagnosed him with urosepsis and that the chemotherapy had damaged his kidneys so the chemotherapy had to be stopped completely. After this, he seemed to present quite a lot with sepsis infections. On his 3rd infection after being admitted to hospital they thought he would not pull through but did. They were preparing me at that time for him actually going but he held on and pulled through and came home once again. However the recent 4th one where he was admitted on the 1st June was the one which was going to take him well that and the cancer combined. He got through the sepsis once again and was improving, but then took a very bad turn and from then on his health just spiralled downwards to the extent he was hardly eating and only taking in fluids nut then at the end he could hardly take in fluids as his swallow reflexes had decreased also and his speech was virtually non existent. his breathing was reduced to a crackly gurgly sound which I know is known as the `death rattle` as I experienced this with my own dad when he passed with lung cancer 11 years ago. I went out to get something to eat from the downstairs cafe and came back up to his room and he was still gurgling away bt then I became aware that the gurgling sound had stopped so I nudged him on the shoulder I had been rubbing his shoulders and he was kind of batting my hand away previous as I believe it was annoying him but this time that didn't happen and then I called out his name still nothing and I lifted his hand and it just went limp and dropped to the side so then I went out to the nurses desk and said to them I think he is gone and two of the nurses came up to his room one checked him over for a pulse and called his name again and then she said `yes he is at peace now` more or less saying he had gone. I still maintain had he had that post op chemo he would still be here but now we will never know and for that unfortunately I will remain very bitter about. 

• Hi. 
    First of all I’m sorry that you have had to join this family of bereaved spouses. I hope that I’m time you will take some comfort from this group as we all “get it”. You can vent, be sad, be positive l, be whatever you what and there will always be someone who understands.
    The what ifs are one of the hardest things to deal with. My hubby was the same as your (but with portage cancer) tHoughton he  was cured but during lockdown what should have been a six month check became an 8 month check and by then the cancer had spread far and wide. If it had been caught  two months  earlier would that have made the chemo more effective and maybe he would still be here. It’s 20 months since I lost my hubby and I still wonder and probably always will but for my own sanity I have to try to put it to the back of my mind. 
    It’s very early days for you so just do what you need to for YOU. 

Take care 

Jillian 

• Thank you so much for your kind words Jillian.

xx

• I am 8 weeks in, it still feels surreal, like I am walking through treacle. All I can tell you is that all your emotions are perfectly normal, and they can change from one minute to the next. What I am struggling with the most is the thought that my partner, who I was with for 32 years, will never be home again. Its just so final. Sending you hugs xxx

• Thanks I get that!

My husband's job meant he worked away for days on end and I knew he would be home in about say 3 or 4 days time but this time I know now he won't be home. He is in the care now of the funeral director and they are saying my son and myself can go down and start to get things moving with arrangements although the registrar has not been back in contact. Since covid it all gets done remotely over the telephone and you don't physically go into an office now. So they need to hear from the registrar before they can arrange the crematorium but we can get other things in place before that. Trying to stay pro-active though and sort things out that can be sorted just now small trivial things that can sometimes be forgotten about. I just hope we don't get left hanging by the registrars for too long. 

xx

• I was contacted within 7 days of my partner dying, by the registrars office who made an appointment for me to go in to register, maybe in some parts of the country they are still doing it remotely. (The registrar needs to send a green form to the crematorium) The appointment took around 30 minutes and they were very kind. Work out how many death certificates you will need beforehand as they are £11 per copy. Staying pro active is the best thing xxx

• Thanks Crystal.

That sounds about right. Heard from the registrar today and I will get a phone appointment tomorrow at 1.45. In Glasgow they are still doing things remotely and same if you need extra copies they're £10 each. Going to the funeral directors tomorrow morning with my son and they can start putting things in place for us and now hopefully that the registrar has got back to me will have a date soon for the cremation. 

xx

• So, Registrar has been sorted out for some reason Jays form needed reviewed something they do with random forms I believe and his came up for this. So funeral director has phoned to say they got back to her and I should now have a date hopefully by the end of tomorrow for the funeral. Now the problem is my marriage certificate can I find that?- No! I have all the rest but of course the one I need I can't find. I know its in the house somewhere but where is the thing so I'm not in a frame of mind to turn the house upside down looking for it so will just order a replacement then the usual I'll probably find the origi nal after paying for a replacement copy.  I need this to apply for bereavement benefit apparently and I should hopefully get copies of Jay's death certificate through soon (ha!) to deal with insurances and banks etc. Rehab team came this morning to take away his walking aids and shower seat and bedrails so that's all been done. Just need to get rid of his wheelchair now. Just waiting on the company to come and collect that. Started yesterday chucking out his stoma and urinary supplies such a waste that hospitals, GP practices etc won't accept these. They are always saying they have shortages of these things but apparently now because of covid something to do with contamination when they leave the premesis etc. So been told just to dispose of them so binned a couple of boxes yesterday. So much stuff to still go through but a day at a time will do it. As my dad used to say to me `Rome wasn't built in a day`. On we go. 

xx

• Our stoma nurse took all the unopened stuff away to use for staff to practice with as you say what a huge waste. Getting rid of the equipment is good. Yes there is so much to do but as you say one thing at a time and you just love along with it all. Think I was told couldn’t claim bereavement benefit as wasn’t on any benefits but may be different for you. You are doing so well keep going.

Helen x

• Bereavement support payment can be claimed without being on benefits. It's a lump sum and 18 monthly payments. There are two rates depending on whether there are children.  This more information 

www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • Its shocking the amount of waste, I had a huge box ful of catheter equipment, all brand new and sealed which they told me th throw away. No wonder the nhs is in a mess. anyway we have a guy in the village who does regular drips to ukraine with donated supplies, so I sent them over there. Better than throwing away.