What waits after caring role

• 6 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi, I was my husband’s full time carer and he passed away in April.

I didn’t expect so much difficulties waiting for me after retired from his caring.

Difficult to find a job strait away because I am not young anymore, gave up my career for caring for 10 years and my mental health is not great.

All his benefit has stopped and I have 600pounds shortfall of the rent every month, feeling anxious about becoming homeless any moment.

My universal credit only gives me 140pounds per month for food and bills.

I applied for council housing but they said I am fit enough to find a job and pay the rent for where I live.

I am on anti depressants, sleeping pills and beta blockers for panic attacks.

I don’t want live like this. I want to be independent, I want to start living my new life but I need time to feel well enough to do that.

Unfortunately the system doesn’t give me time to recover. 
I sometimes think I’d better be dead then I can see him again, free from all these problems.

I appreciate how much help I and my husband had from NHS, government and council but it is awful as soon as the person dies they take those help away from carers.

All I need is somewhere I feel home and time to heal myself. Am I asking too much?

I miss him more than ever. I need his hug, his words saying “everything will be ok, I am here.” I want to go where he is now.

• I'm sorry that things are so difficult for you. It's an awful situation we all find ourselves in. 

After a bereavement you can't be made to job search for six months.  The other thing I'd say is would your GP give you fit notes sure to your I'll health? 

I'm no expert but don't want your post to go unanswered.

Take care and if things get really hard then you can always call the Samaritans 116123.

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • Thank you for your kind words.

GP gave me fit note 2 months initially, then extended for another 2 months. I didn’t know they cannot make me to look for a job for 6 months. Does it apply to anyone? Jobcentre makes me to go to see them every 2 weeks though. 
    I have to go through work capability assessment now as my GP diagnosed  me severe depression.

I am exhausted and all I want is time to grieve properly.  I don’t want to be like this. I want to be myself again. I want to start walking on my own. 
    But to do that, I need rest. I don’t want be broken like this. 

• I am so sorry you are feeling so terribly low. This cruel disease has far reaching effects in so many ways. My partner died 6 weeks ago and the raw, gut wrenching grief is soul destroying, I can imagine how much more difficult it is when you have financial considerations too. It seems that carers are the forgotten victims, its so awful how all your help disappears, does your GP know how badly you are struggling? I would suggest that is your first stop, a good GP can be so helpful. Do the jobcentre know your circumstances? Are there any family members that can help, you don't say if you have children. You must keep telling yourself that this WILL pass. I think we imagine we will be this way forever, in this state of limbo but we won't. Grief makes everything seem so much worse, even the smallest problems seem huge. Please dont feel you are alone, there are so many of us out here going through the same. I am always happy to chat, so please please do not feel alone x

• You have to take each day at a time. Hoping that you have Family and Friends that can help you out,and

support. Never give up hope. You are worn out and you need time to heal.

• I know exactly where you are. the bit after their passing isnt understood as much. the expectation of just get on with life. i did still have a job but unfortunately with the way they communicated with me during final 6 months of his life and then after. I dont know if its the same where you live but in Scotland i was entitled to bereavement payment for few months after his death which eased the finances so its worth checking as they dont tell you about it.

the other experince we had was my sister was full time carer for dad for 5 years after mum passed and as you do she got nothing after he died so we can concure its pretty shite....all we can do is try to find a way to get through.

Its good that you can share how your feeling, it helps to talk it out wth someone. to acknowledge the low points. as someone said get sick lines, talk to dr . if you need to talk we are here  

life is like a patio door, you never know which side is open and you walk into the glass

• Hi Mobility!

I have applied for bereavement benefit. I live in Scotland (Glasgow) my husband just passed on the 23rd June. They want you to send in your marriage certificate though or take it to a jobcentre and get it photostated or scanned. Take it they don't accept copies. I can't find my marriage certificate so have had to apply for a duplicate copy. Got everything else birth certificates etc but of course its usually the one you are looking for that you can't find and then of course once I get my copy the original one will turn up which usually happens as I know its in the house somewhere but I just do not have the energy at this moment in time to turn the house upside down looking for it. They give you a lump sum I believe and then a monthly payment of I think its  £100 for 18 months but the usual you need to jump through hoops to get it. Springhare do you have if you don't mind me asking life insurance policies? It would help also if you have these and cash them in. A lot of these policies now only pay out on the person's death but make sure you have enough copies of the death certificate some will accept a photostat copy and some wan the orginal always another option.