A new bench

• 4 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hello everyone

Nearly a year, the 30th May, since Barry died. Still can't believe it and haven't really accepted it at all. Probably never will. Just learning to be me again, living alone, but with a lovely pussycat who has been my loyal companion throughout.

As I live in France, the funeral arrangements were very different to the UK, and it all had to be done within 5 days, cremation and funeral. Certainly focused me to do everything as Barry would have wished too. Luckily I knew what he wanted long before, but we didn't dwell on it.  I bought a plot which will be for me later too, and I organized a small tribute at the Jardin de Souvenir, memory garden. I managed with the help of friends to get through it. Then afterwards, the following days with all the paperwork to do that had to be done quickly too.

A few months passed, and I thought a bench would be good in the cemetery for Barry, and for me when I came to visit. This is not an idea that the French really do, certainly not in rural areas like me. The cemetery is owned by the local Marie, not the Church. I enquired and nearly a year later I think I am going to get it done. They say they now have one and it is being repainted.

It has taken so long ? Very unsettling. I managed to do a plaque relatively quickly which was good. It reads with his name and the words And we begin again . One that Barry knew about.

I am re reading this as I didn't post it ! Technical error on my part.

Well, the update is that the 30th May has come and gone. The first year anniversary. Panic and tears before, but on the day not too bad. Supported by so many friends. I did get the bench which is a huge achievement in French terms !! Only 11 months which is pretty amazing. I can now go and sit there in the peace and quiet. I talk to Barry all the time but the awful loss is still with me.

Hugs to you all out there 

• Hi Fifinet,

Well done for getting the bench you so much wanted.

Glad you found the day not too bad. I was similar earlier in the month. I guess there's no real explanation. I've had my moments since however.

Take care,

WDJ

• Yes WDJ 

As you say some moments afterwards.

Today I am feeling lost and lonely even after speaking with my sister in Scotland. Haven't heard from her for ages and when she asks how I am, I don't really tell her. She sympathizes but doesn't get it as she still has her beloved partner.

This I find hard to deal with. I have found some kind of inner strength recently though and am moving on but differently. Never forgetting Barry and now busy with a tribute of his photos in an exhibition.

Hope you are ok .

Hugs and thanks.

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • Hi 

My dad lives in France (also on a very rural area in the Charante) so I know how long it takes to get anything done - especially to get approval from the Marie. 11 months is quite an accomplishment- well done. I’m glad you’ve got it  sorted so that you have somewhere you can go to try to find some peace. 
    That’s another big day that you’ve got through

It’s my hubby’s birthday next week ( the second since I lost him) and I can’t decide whether I want to be surrounded by people or on my own so I’m not making any decisions and will see how I feel on the day. I’ve booked the day off work so for now that will do. 
    Take care of yourselves everyone x 

J x 

• Fifinet,

I've had much support from those 'back home' but truth is, apart from two, I still don't think they truly understand the situation for what it is. That's not a criticism, it's just that they don't.

We had a garden bench at home and I swithered over asking if the hospice would want it or take it to my 'new place' back home. I opted for the latter simply so I could sit on it or look at it when I go back up there. I just couldn't part with it.

Everyone thinks I'm looking better but inside I'm hurting just as much now as when it happened and before when we both knew it was going to happen although never said so.

I too am trying to move on. We know we have to but, my, it's hard to do so 

Take care,

WDJ