3 years on

• 2 replies
  • 26 subscribers

It's been 3 years. Not a day goes by I don't think of my Liam who died at 42 years old after a 10 month battle with stage 4 kidney cancer that had already spread to his lymph nodes lungs and brain before diagnosis. In saying that Im here to say it's getting easier. I drank a lot in the beginning and to be honest still do but I'm functioning again. The depression when it hits is horrendous to the point I don't even get out of bed, shower, brush my teeth or change my clothes but there are good days and I can laugh again without feeling guilty and enjoy others company without resenting them for not having gone through the same thing. I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone but when I was in the first year of grieving I always asked why us? Why? Why not someone else's husband? I was stuck in a rut for about 18 months with the same thoughts getting angrier and angrier until the rage was out of control. At that point I knew it was time to do something so I saw a bereavement Councillor and for the first time since liams death I let all my feelings out. I cried a lot. I got angry! It was hard to talk about. But it helped me move on to the acceptance stage and that's a beautiful stage because now I only remember the beautiful memories, his smile, his humour, his generosity. Before all I remembered were the treatments and his suffering. I blocked out all the good times. It does get easier..... While I know my life will never be the same again after Liam I know that it can be good again. I didn't believe this 3 years ago. My life was over. But it's not and Liam wouldn't want that for me and if the roles were reversed I wouldn't want that for him either. I hope this gives comfort to those who have just lost their partners. I remember reading this forum a lot during liams treatments and after he died and it helped me immensely. I hope I can now bring comfort to others going through this wondering what the future holds. The future can be bright again

xxx

• Lou1986,

I certainly take comfort from those further down the line in this horrible experience; from those at all stages too. Your words resonate.

I'm approaching the one year mark, only a matter of a few weeks now, and still can't believe it really. 

I've been down but wouldn't say depressed as I've dealt with it as best I can. I often feel 'numb' and wonder what I've done and what I'm going to do. Treading water would be a suitable metaphor. Who knows what the right decision ever is/was - even without all of this crap!

I too have drank more than I ought to. I suspect we're not alone there. I know that a certain person would be angry with me as she really did get me to only do so when it was an occasion to enjoy. Now? Well, I'm still at that stage where a glass 'helps'. I wish I could be more active again on the exercise front but feel just about everything is exhausting. It's all a double edged sword in some ways.

I do wonder about speaking to someone but feel I'm not ready so I won't. I get the sense that it may come after the first year has gone.

For now? Each minute, hour and day at a time.

Take care,

WDJ

• When it comes to speaking to someone that's a personal choice. I knew when I was ready for that and it helped me a lot but I was offered it after the first few days and knew I wasn't ready. Like I said it took me a while to get to that stage. 

I'm trying to limit my drinking to weekends or occasions now but it's hard as I became dependent on it for a while. I realise it doesn't bring liam back but it definitely masked the feelings for a while (not that I would recommend that). But don't beat yourself up for it either. It's such a hard experience to go through you would do anything to take the pain away.

Like you said take one day at a time and before you know it you have survived a year and then two and then before you know if that massive hole that's been left starts to fill up with other things again which helps distract at the very least until one day you realise your enjoying the little things again.

This community is also amazing as there are people here that know exactly what you are going through. Sometimes it's so difficult trying to talk to a friend or family member who wants to help but doesn't really understand. 

Big hugs xxx

Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today - James Dean