Condolences to you all...

• 3 replies
  • 28 subscribers

It's been a while since I came on the site but I've been catching up on some of your Posts. Sorry to see so many new names have joined the group... Sorry, because that means so many loved ones have passed away. 

For me, I have passed the two year anniversary, having lost my beloved husband when he was just 54. Diagnosed New Years Eve and despite promises of treatment by his oncologist... That rapidly fell by the wayside as the country went into Lockdown!! He died just nine months later. The pandemic robbed us both of normal cancer treatment, care,  and support medical, practical and emotional.

I went through grief and anger ... And yes guilt. All feelings that have remained these past couple of years. 

Friends who had initially promised so much simply stopped ringing, Even family members who change the subject if I mention his name. Do they really believe that time passing means we have forgotten our loved one. Grief never stops! Yes,  it eases so that you don't cry at the merest hint of a memory and time teaches you the skill to hide your grief. To act like everything is fine when inside you feel an emotional wreck.

All I can advise to you who are still in the depths of raw grief and anguish ... go at your own pace, do not be rushed into feeling a failure when others suggest you "should be getting over it" You will never be the same again. Be kind to yourself as you try to make a new life to face your future. Remember your loved one but continue to strive to create a future as I'm sure your partner would wish you to do.

My condolences and virtual hugs to you all

Mym x

• Hello Mym 

Your posting really says it all ! So well put and just what  we really all feel on this forum. 

As you say. Grief never stops. I am so fed up with the stupid comments people make. I recently got a classic reply to my feeling lonely statement.

Not on this forum by the way, a so called friend who lost his wife two years ago , and he is in the UK. His wife was French and they had a house near us which they came to for holidays . He said I really must think about moving back to Scotland before I became too ill and infirm ! I have lived here in France for 23 years now and since Barry died just 9 months ago, I am surrounded by good friends and neighbours. Some of course don't know what to say to me, so prefer to talk about themselves! Death is deemed as a taboo.

I have however just lost two good friends, both to Cancer, and that is hard as it brings it all back about Barry. So, my point was I think, was to just get on with things as and when I feel like it. Don 't need to be pushed or think they know what's best for me ?

Thank you for your post it was really special.

A big hug to you and take care of yourself

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • I just posted something, but I could have just quoted your post. I feel that way, too. My "happiness" is an act, a mask, a charade. We are far too guarded about death. We need to be free to grieve without feeling like we are being overly dramatic or wallowing in sadness. Losing a spouse/partner is horrific. And as so many of us have found, time does nothing to assuage the pain of grief. They say grief is love with no place to go. That means It just builds and builds until the emotional dam breaks.

To those of you who have recently joined this group, I am so so sorry you are here. It's not that I don't welcome more voices, it's just I know how you are feeling. It's weird - I feel as if my grief is worse now than it was immediately following my husband's death...

Martha

"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) ..."
    Life must end, but love is eternal.

• Thank you for your comments Fifinet. 

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your two friends... Cancer truly is a crap (politest word I can use on here) illness. It seems to enjoy targeting the good people, regardless if they are young, old, rich or poor. 

Good for you for staying in your home where you are settled. France has obviously been good to you and your husband or you would have probably moved back to Scotland a long time ago. You stay wherever you feel is home surrounded by your friends.

Hugs

Mym x