My Lifestyle Since

• 7 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Over the last seven months, I've definitely struggled a bit with diet and exercise in particular.

I've always been health conscious, without it getting to an extreme, but since everything I've definitely struggled with what I've been eating and exercise. I've done a little of the latter recently but nothing to the level of what I used to. I've been eating and drinking things too that I cut out of my diet for years also. Inevitably, I've put on weight that I'm no longer happy with. Some of the weight I lost previously, looking back, was definitely down to the stress of events, but I've gone way over what used to me my 'normal' weight.

I know we need to not be too hard on ourselves but this has now got to me. I've started to try and revert back to what was my 'norm' but it's so hard just now.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Take care,

WDJ

• I've always been an emotional eater, always eating rubbish when I was upset, which didn't do much for my weight. I've now gone the other way I lost my hubby on 21st November and I've barely eaten. I'm lucky if I have one meal a day. I'm still cooking for my children I just can't stomach anything. I'm guessing this is the physical side of grief.

Don't be too hard on yourself, I'm sure you will get back to where you want to be.

• I lost 3 stone, Rob never ate and I got out of the habit of eating living on a bowl of soup or something like that per day for a year or so.  I just never felt hungry. 

I actually liked being a lot thinner and was almost back to my size when I got married.

Since November, not sure why but I started to feel hungry and started to eat more, I find I and am snacking and have gained a few kilos.  I tried to diet but no motivation and went to weight watchers tonight for the first time.

I just hope that that works.  I want to stay thin!

Rob never minded what weight I was but to stay healthy I should keep the weight off.  He had gained a lot of weight over the last few years if his life and had a few health problems.

• I too went the other way and lost all enthusiasm for cooking a meal and eating it after Steve died.  Lost nearly a stone which is not ideal as have always been underweight for my height.  Slowly getting my appetite back but it is so hard thinking about meals when there is only one of you.

I would just say be kind to yourself and don’t stress about the extra weight.  Your grief is enough to contend with at the moment.

Sending hugs to everyone in our situation 

• Similar to others I didn't eat much when I was looking after my partner and he couldn't eat a lot.

Despite my previous love of cooking/baking I just can't face it now and just eat what's quick or I can find. I've put a bit of weight back on as I'm eating more than I was now. But like u I was very health and exercise conscious and very disciplined, its all gone out the window. At this point I'm just eating to survive and I don't even want to do that. It's too much to think about on top of everything else. So I'd say don't think too much about it, when you're ready to get back on track you will.

I seem to have developed a habit of crisp sandwiches!!! Wth? Hadn't had one for years before the summer when I was caring for my partner, it was quick food. I guess I've held onto it for the moment...

• Hi, like most of us we lost weight then gained again.  When it comes to cooking for one, I find it hard. When it got really bad with my husband he hardly or never ate anything,  even to have a drink of water was nil. 

Before he got worse I use to batch cook so if we had a hospital appointment ( sometimes you never new what time you would get home) having a home cooked meal in the freezer worked for us. I still carry on making bulk meals, stews, lasagne,  shepherds  pie etc. There is always a meal i can have with out thinking what to eat. I do this on the days I feel I have energy. 

I have started to grow my own veg/salads hoping this will make me eat more healthy as my husband was the gardener. 

It's will be 6 weeks on Monday 20th March when I lost my husband. Miss you so much. 

Keep going, we will get through this together. 

Jodie97

Sending big hugs to you all

• I've also had a problem with cooking and eating.  Nic was the cook in the family so I just ate what he prepared.  After he died, I didn't have any interest in food at all.  I needed to lose weight so I went on Jane Plan for a couple of months as the food was there, all prepared and calorie controlled. I lost 2 stone and was all the better for it.  Since then my eating has been very erratic.  I cook from scratch once in a blue moon and mostly eat pre prepared stuff from the supermarket.  It's not great, I know, but it's convenient when I need it.  I never eat three good meals a day, but I just can't be bothered.  I know it's not good for me, but don't really care.  I don't eat much meat and have veg binges, but nothing normal.  Another side effect of what we are going through I guess.  

Hugs to you all.

• When Lin was ill and her health was declining she lost appetite a bit and so I didn't cook so much portion-wise. Consequently I lost weight and I have found that this has continued so that I am now about 2 stone lighter than I was about 3 years ago. My release from the mental anguish of grief and loss is to immerse myself in nature walks, which I find quite uplifting, and it helps with maintaining my weight at its current level of just under 12 stone, which is about right for my height. I have a heart condition, atrial fibrillation, so want to keep my weight at this level. There are days, though, when I think "What the hell!" and indulge myself with a cream cake or the like, and I say to myself "Life is too short not to have a treat once in a while."

Does it really matter what we do if it makes us feel better? We have to enjoy life as well don't we? It's a balancing act. Those we have lost would want us to be happy, so I say do what makes you feel good.

Stay strong,

Derek