Weird dream

• 8 replies
  • 30 subscribers

I just need to get this out of my head and didn’t want to text my family in case they thought it was odd. 
I woke up this morning having dreamed about Dave - this is the first time since I lost him 14 months ago. 
In the dream we were out hiking with our brother in law. It was an unknown route (we were looking  for something but I have no idea what) so I was going first- being the youngest and most adventurous -however on rounding a corner I realised  that to the left was quite a big drop and knowing that Dave is scared of heights I would shouted to him to sit down, but he didn’t - he stood up and looked over  the edge and then fell off bouncing off rocks all the way down (I woke up before he got to the bottom) All we could do was just  stand and watch. I now  have a zillion thoughts running through my head:

• does th fact that I’ve dreamed about him mean that I’m finally starting to address the grief 
  • does the seeing him fall and not being able to do anything reflect the fact that I couldn’t do anything to make him better ?
  • does it meant that I am letting him go? 

Im not expecting anyone to have any answers but this seemed like a safe space to share this 

Take care

Jillian 

• Jilllybean74,

I just don't know. I posted a comment on an older blog about a very vivid dream I had recently. I was holding my wife whilst she was speaking to me in pain. It was the first dream I had had with her in it since her passing.

What do these experiences mean? I just don't know. Are we still suffering? Perhaps. Do we still care? Absolutely!

I just wanted you to know you're not the only one who is having these experiences.

Take care,

WDJ

• Hi Jillybean74,

I haven't had a dream with my husband yet, been 3 months now since he passed away. Your dream after 14 months wasn't  nice  but it is weird to suddenly get one. You were witnessing his fall but powerless to help stop him. 

It would be great to be able create a new dream.

Everything that happened to our partners was so surreal and unfair.

I have a fleeting fantasy that it was a bad dream, and want to wake up to the old happy reality. Wouldn't that be great. 

• Hi  

I expected the dreams in the early days but they never came - maybe our brain knows it would be too much to handle at that point. 
    I have now had another dream in which I am out  with some old friends and Dave turns up - and I am frantically trying to find a way to explain that although we thought Dave had died and we had a funeral etc Dave didn’t actually die. All I can take from that is that he lives on inside of me. ??

It seems so strange to have had two dreams within days of each other after all of this time. 

Take care 

Jillian

• Every morning I wake up I get that hope for a few seconds that it has all been a bad dream but then realise my Claire isn’t next to me in our bed and the pain starts all over again. It’s just so hard

• No dreams of my husband yet, just over four months since Steve died.  However, about two months ago our daughter dreamt that she was looking for her Dad and she asked him where he was.  He replied that he was wherever we wanted him to be.

Although we were both in tears over this, it gave us comfort at the time,  but when my grief and tears are intense, I long for some sign that he is with us still.

Christine

• Oh Jillybean74 you must have been so unsettled by that dream.  It's the thoughts that run through your head afterwards that are so hard to deal with as there are no answers to what the dream actually meant.

My husband Chris died 13 weeks ago today and I've only had one dream with him in it, that was the day after his funeral.

I dreamt I was at a funeral for Chris' uncle (who is still alive) and Chris showed up but whenever I tried to talk to him he turned away. In the dream people said it was because he wanted to protect me from the pain he was in and he didn't want me to see how upset he was that he had left me.

I wish I dreamt of my lovely Chris more, but then worry I'll be too upset. It's hard enough waking up each day without him by my side.

I also wish that this was all a horrible dream and I'd wake up tomorrow to find I'm not a widow at 45.

Rachael

• I looked back for this topic as I had another vivid dream last night - the first again for quite some time. 

I was on a train and lost a shoe. I got so frustrated by it and went all along the train looking for it. When the train stopped, I asked someone if they'd seen it and was told that a lady had and left it in a carriage but she'd already left the train. She did however leave a note with only her name on it. 

The name on the bit of paper stuck on the shoe? Yes, we all know who it was! I was just dumbfounded when I awoke.

My, what our experience is doing to us.

Take care,

WDJ

• I've had 2 dreams since Colin died. The first one maybe 18 months ago where he was kissing my neck then when he got to my mouth I woke up, crying.  The second one was a few weeks ago and his 2 younger sons were there withe me, and Colin appeared, I asked him what does he do all day ?? And his eyes filled with tearCry Now, I don't dream very often, and when I do very rarely I remember them but these 2 have stuck in my mind.

Tomorrow is another day