New year

• 11 replies
  • 34 subscribers

As we leave 2022 and move into a new year I feel as if I’m leaving my husband behind. It hurts so much. I had him for the first three months of this year but won’t for next or any other years. This seems harder than Christmas. I know it’s ‘ just another day’ but it seems so significant somehow. 

• Hi, I'm having the same feelings.  Nic was here for one month of 2021 then gone.  So I'll go into another year without him.  I've been in bits all day.  I feel like he's fading into the distance although I look at his picture and think about him every day.  So hard to deal with.

Best wishes to you all.

Felicity

• It is just 4 weeks ago that I lost my soulmate of 22 years and going into this new year without her is so painful - I am heartbroken that my beautiful wife won’t be seeing any more years in with me

• I lost my husband 7 weeks ago and hate that soon I can say I lost him last year. I panic that’s he’s drifting further away from me. As time goes on I’m feeling worse. Hugs and strength to you all. 

• Feeling the same. It's like the change of year is imposing an extra distance from our loved ones. It's over 12 weeks for me and as time passes it's worse as a cold reality is creeping in. 

I haven't sent out Happy New Year greetings and respond lethargically to any received . May be another year..

Hugs and love to all 

• I'm struggling too with the same feelings. My amazing husband, Chris, died only 11 weeks ago. We had 28 amazing years together filled with love and laughter.

The thought of a whole new year ahead where he won't be by my side is heartbreaking. I've shed so many tears this week as the reality sinks in that I'll never see him again or hear him say "I love you".

May we all find some peace, hope and comfort.

• I am over 13 months into this journey without my wife, Lin, and I will be remembering all the lovely New Years we saw in together. I will raise a toast to her while looking at her picture and thank her for 44 magical years of being together. We are still together but now it is in a spiritual way.

It doesn't seem appropriate to wish everyone a Happy New Year, so I wish you all find some comfort in happy memories of your lost loved ones.

Stay strong in 2003.

Derek

• I struggle to see the 'happy' in the new year any more. Yes we want positivity but that hasn't happened for any of us in this group with regard to our dearest love.

I sit watching the fireworks on TV and just seeth at the fact that the money can always be found for this. It drives me mad.

I too just went to a photograph, stood there until I heard midnight arrive and simply said "I love you".

Take care everyone,

WDJ

• Hello

Just wanted to say what a lovely thing you did, saying I love you to your wife at midnight.

Simple but so heartfelt.

I feel calm today. It has been a long week with Christmas and now a fresh page seems waiting today.

With all my best wishes and  to everyone in our situation.

Hugs and more

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • I am with you all. I lost my husband in January 2022 and next week is whole year ago that I lost him. This next week is full of upset for me with memories of  the last time he was able to speak to our children, the last time we were able to have a conversation. 

These last 2 weeks I’ve just been feeling numb. I didn’t do Christmas Cards and only did presents for the children because I just didn’t really want to be doing anything but I knew I had to because my kids are still young. I’ve been with my family but I just feel like I want to be in my own. I want to speak to my children but don’t want to upset them. 

I haven’t actually said ‘Happy New Year’ to anyone because I don’t feel like it is at all. Im trying to be positive and I know my kids & I will continue to make memories & I know it’s what he would want us to do but it doesn’t make it any easier to do. 

Claire

• Hi Claire, I know what you mean about saying ‘Happy New Year’. And I’ve found it really hard when people have said ‘I hope 2023 is good/better for you’ - I just want to say ‘well Tony will still be dead so it’s not going to be better’. But I know they mean well (no idea how many times I’ve had to say that to myself to stop me from snapping). Our Christmas Day was better than I had thought, I think going to my sisters helped as we’d never had Christmas at hers so we made new memories. But New Year is harder, like Carpetbagger says, it’s moving further away from them. I’ve taken to watching video clips on my phone just to hear his voice again - it’s been 4 months since he died and I still can’t quite believe that he isn’t here. 
    Dawn