Share a tune

• 10 replies
  • 31 subscribers

It's so sad for us all. Was wondering to ask a helping hand. My husband loved music, despite his age he was always interested in the latest music, it was a driving force and hobby. When his brain tumour got bad he couldn't even bear to listen to music. Now as a memory we are collecting songs he has shared with friends. . He was like a Spanish John Peel, so I left music to him.

These days it's comforting to listen to old songs, or may be any song that can transport in this moment of grief, either sad or uplifting. 

We put on this song at the memorial. Gnarls Barkley Smiley Faces. We had played on a long car journey when the kids are young and it's quite uplifting if you want to listen on you tube

I wanted to ask has anyone got any songs to share to accompany us in our sorrow.

• Hi Daybreak 2

For my husband's funeral I chose the song

"One Last Love Song" by The Beautiful South... 

"So I'll cry with a limp
    Just get by on a limb
    Till these blue eyes of mine they are closed
    So here's to an old fashioned peck on the cheek
    And farewell my sweet Northern Rose
    Give me one last love song
    To bring you back, bring you back..."
    Song lyrics and/or the music can be so poignant and emotive. Evoking both happy and sad memories.
    Pooka x
  • My husband liked Gnarls Barkley, that's a good tune.

When my husband was first in hospital going through tests. We felt like there was no good news. Just more bad and then the worst news. Terminal! Everyday I drove into the hospital and then home again feeling more sad, with no good news to bring to our children. 

Anyway the song which was always on the car radio was  Arms Open by The Script . It felt to sum up his life and my inability to make it better, all I could do was be there with my arms open. We played it at his funeral. It always makes me cry.

Take care

• Ruby diamond x
  • Music was one of the things that brought me and my partner together, there was only a small overlap in our tastes when we first met but we patiently listened to each others favourites and some we were happy to listen to and some not so much.

John chose the music for his cremation in August and his choice was:

Ave Maria   Bach

Still the Same  Bob Seger

Make You Feel My Love  Bob Dylan

Now I will agree that Bob Dylan was a great lyricist, but his voice ,,, Well that just grated on me.  

Funnily enough none of these bring me to tears when I hear them a couple of months on, but I cannot listen to Don Henley's Album  The End of The Innocence without sobbing.   

• Dear Daybreak 2

Yes, what music can do. I had Stephane Grapelli Georgia on my mind, which Barry loved, at the funeral. Then Scottish music, as we are both Scots! Capercaillie The Skye Waulkng Song, and Aly Bain/Phil Cunningham, both people that Barry knew years ago.

My song is Smile by Nat King Cole, the words are positive.. "Smile.. even though your heart is aching, Smile even though it's breaking,

When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by

If you smile through your fear and sorrow

Smile, and maybe tomorrow, you'll see the sun come shining through for you

Light up your face with gladness

Hide every trace of sadness

Although a year maybe ever so near

That's the time you must keep on trying

Smile, what's the use of crying?

You'll find that life is still worthwhile

If you just smile.

Not always easy, I know. But it is not really sad, there is always hope.

Hugs 

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • Oh Fifinet,
    I had smile sang by Gregory Porter for my Andy's funeral - I chose that because, we used to say still smiling even when the going got tough - not after his diagnosis though. 
    My late dad always used to say to us - still smiling kids! so it was quiet apt we had that song - I can't bear to listen to it at the moment though, still too raw as its only 6 weeks tomorrow since my Andy passed away.

I also had The very thought of you, Ella Fitzgerald at his funeral as we had it at our wedding only 18 days before he died. That I can listen to now as the words mean so much too and i do forget things even more at the moment!

Big hug to you x

• Let's stack up these songs adding more and more up to the sky! Am listening to them all . And we keep our memories burning bright ..

• I made a mistake!

Although a TEAR maybe ever so near, rather than year.

Hope everyone is ok today?

Hugs

Fifinet 
    As Voltaire, the French writer said " I am going to be happy because it is good for my health "
  • As part of a memory book we are getting together, we will have a play list of songs  friends suggest and shared with my husband. It's all taking a bit of time so will be after Xmas as my son is busy and he is the one helping me.

Someone added K Cand the Sunshine Band Boogie Man, but I see my son put on the song  Please Don't Go.by the same group The lyrics are so sad.

(Only wasn't the moment my husband walked out the door, was carried out the door by ambulance crew) 

"If you leave, at least in my lifetime, I've had one dream come true , I was blessed to be loved by someone as wonderful as you." 

Take a listen 

• Ours is an easy one, sloop sloop song by Cher, Adele,s go to track in the car.

• Leehebs - here's hoping your sense of humour matches mine Slight smile..... is that a Peter Kay misheard lyric Musical noteJoy

Shoop Shoop Song It's in his kiss KissThat's Where It Is Blush

MicrophoneNotesMusical score

Tomorrow is another day