Loss of my partner

• 53 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi, I’m new to the group so not really sure what I’m doing but wanted to leave this here.

My partner passed away 4 weeks ago and I am really struggling with it all. I know it hasn’t been long but what I am feeling is so intense I can’t actually pinpoint what feeling is affecting me more.

I feel completely lost, I don’t even know the person I am today and feel like I am living someone else’s life.

I am trying to be as normal as possible for our young kids but it is so hard, I’m drained from being”ok” on the surface and if it wasn’t for them I probably wouldn’t get out of bed.

I just don’t know what to do about it. Do I just ride it out and hope for the best? Is all this a normal process of grieving? I just don’t know.

I can’t concentrate on anything, I’m so forgetful, have such a short fuse so no patience at all and no desire to do anything for myself.

I am just miserable and still can’t quite believe my partner is gone, I feel like I have forgotten to do something all the time like something just isn’t right.

someone please tell me this is completely normal as I feel like I am losing my mind!

• I have just picked up a prescription for that exact medication!!! How bizarre for you to mention it.

I didn’t want to go down the medication route but my mental health is so bad at the moment. I’m literally going from one thing to the next just so I don’t have to think about anything else.

I have my first counselling appointment soon so hopefully that will help. 
    My kids deserve a mum that’s somewhat normal or my normal anyway. 

It’s a struggle trying to keep myself in check when all I want to do is crawl under my quilt and stay there 

• Thank you for getting back. If you want to message me again I do 

• Macmillan do offer free counselling, is that what your getting?

• I was told that Macmillian would be in touch after 8 weeks which it hasn’t been yet so I went through my gp. 
    only did the referral last week so the appointment has come through sooner than I thought

• New Leaf,

Sad news.

The next few days and weeks ahead will be a rollercoaster of further emotions but there will be a calmness as well whilst you start to arrange matters.

Know that you did your wife proud.

Take care,

WDJ

• I keep coming across everything to do with my wife and its heart breaking. Clothes in wardrobe, her hand writing, Seems like yesterday we were married yet it was 1996. All seems totally impossible. Haven't registered her death yet. Need to get the stuff out ASAP for my mental health.

Day of blubbering!!! Not looking forward to arranging a bit of a do, dont like the attention, just do it for my boys sake.

Best of luck with counselling, dont stay too long on tabs, try a week and stop, its what I did before, enough just to get me used to feeling better. Helps lift a cloud.

• I haven’t moved any of my partners stuff yet. Find it comforting having his stuff still laying around the house. Just a little reminder of his presence I guess.

I know when he passed away I felt like I had to do everything and get things organised straight away but please give yourself some time. 
    you are going through something monumental and even though keeping busy helps you still need to take a minute.

I am not planning on staying on the meds long, just long enough to help with feeling this intense sadness

• I also have this medication but 40mg as I have had anxiety since I started the menopause. I’m sure it’s helped me cope a little bette than I would have  without it. I’m not saying it’s a miracle worker - trust me I have plenty of bad days but if it helps just a little then it’s worth giving it a go 

• I haven’t moved much of my hubby’s stuff either. His shoes are still on the shoe rack , his toothbrush is still next to the sink, his slippers at the side of the bed. I find these little things comforting although I do know that at some point I am going to have to start  clearing some of the bigger stuff. It’s been a year on Sunday but I’ll just do it when I feel like I can. I’m not putting a timescale on it as let’s be honest - none of us need any more pressure. 
    Take care 

• So sorry to hear this- it doesn’t really matter how much we don’t want our loved  ones to suffer it is still devastating for us when their pain is over. It’s seems like their pain is over and ours has just begun. Take care of yourself the best you can and anytime you need support just come back here. We’re all in the same sorry boat here and I’ve found that just talking on here helps me because no matter how friends and family b think they understand they just don’t. But we do 

Take care 

Jillian