Starting out

• 2 replies
  • 27 subscribers

My wife was diagnosed in February 2022, first Chemo in April, hospitalised in May and sent home for end of life care on the 3rd of August. She died in my arms on Monday the 8th of August 2022, our cat sat on her lap.

I kept Sally at home overnight, had some friends around to say goodbye, washed and dressed her before the undertakers took her away. A week later I went to the funeral home, and it was easier leaving her behind in their care.

The funeral is next week, and I've spent the last three weeks getting all the admin processed, and that has kept me busy. I'm not looking forward to the days, weeks, months after the funeral. We had nothing prepared, we thought we might have five or ten more years together, we had paid for and planned a cruise in November.

I'm in two minds about the length of time, back home in Ireland, the funeral would be three days later, but here, it's given me so much more time to sit and think, get a funeral Sally would be happy with organised, contact long forgotten friends, find all the Christmas, birthday and valentine cards I'd written to her, stashed in strange and disparate places, crying at things on the telly.

I miss her most in the mornings, over coffee, when we would set the world to rights, and plan out and organise our day.

I miss wishing her sweet dreams, and a kiss on the forehead.

There are too many things that I miss.

I made a website for her - not sure what the policy is on posting links - but that too helped with my grieving process.

• I am so sorry for your loss and I, like pretty much everyone on here, understand what you are going through.  These early days and months are very difficult.  My thoughts are with you.

Take care
    J x
  • So sorry for your loss, everyone on here will understand. I lost my husband 3 months ago to cancer and I miss him more than I can say. After the funeral some family and friends drifted away and I've heard nothing since from some of them ? No one understands how hard this is till it happens to them. Missing the everyday routine things you had together, the mornings, the plans, the goodnights. I know like all on here what you're going through. Sending a hug