Finding it hard to accept

• 4 replies
  • 27 subscribers

My darling husband lost his battle with renal cell carcinoma on 23 July.  He’d been in hospital for almost three weeks and was transferred to the local Hospice just one day before he died.  I and one of our daughters saw him settled in and I told him I would see the the next morning.  Little did I realise that would be the last time I would speak to him.  I received a call early the next morning to say he had become really unwell.  The family were all allowed to be with him and he passed peacefully a few hours later.  

To say I am devastated is an understatement.  I know it is early days but I’m finding my emotions and feelings very strange.  Most of the time i carry on as though it hasn't happened but then it will suddenly hit me, like this evening when I cannot stop crying.  I am very lucky in that I have three children living nearby and they have been wonderful, as have our older grandchildren.

I know he was very depressed because he had lost all mobility in the last few weeks and was also having pain and I wouldn’t want him back to suffer as he did.  However, we would have been married 52 years in September and were so lucky to have had a very happy marriage.  He was my best friend and until the cancer took hold, he was my rock and a very hard working and loving man.

i have good friends as well as a supportive family but it is just not the same without him.   The future looks very bleak and the pain is so hard to bear.  Everything seems so surreal and I cannot accept that he has gone.   I just felt tonight I had to express how I feel though I can hardly see to type through my tears.   

• Hi Lynne, I'm so sorry for your loss - it is now 16 months since my husband passed after a 7 week diagnosis - we were married 54 years and it is still very hard as I miss him so so much - I am on my own a lot as my son lives down south - I have visited a few times but so hard without hubby as he drove me everywhere.

These are early days for you and the feelings are a nightmare - but reading your post you are lucky to have family near who will be a great comfort - the times ahead will be very tough and it will be hard but with the help of family and friends it will get easier to cope.

Take care, God bless.

• Hi Ruddy, Thank you for your lovely response.  That must have been really hard for you losing your husband in such a short time. My husband was diagnosed almost 9 years ago.  It has been a very rocky road and looking back I wonder how we managed to cope, but obviously you don’t get a choice.  Yours was a long marriage, like mine and it is such a loss.  However, I’m sure whatever length of time you’ve been together it must still be so difficult.  

I realise how lucky I am to have family so near.  They are a blessing, though the nights are long.  

Kind regards and best wishes.

• Hello Lynne C,

I'm so sorry to hear your story and the grief you are going through.

I too know exactly what you are feeling. My husband passed away just over a year ago from a GBM grade 4 brain tumour. He had been slightly unwell but nothing specific, until his leg gave way and he had a fall. It was a real rollercoaster from then until he died 13 months later. He was 69 and fit and healthy before that. We had been married for 48 years.

All sorts of emotions have to be dealt with and I think I was more emotional, when he was very ill (its called anticipatory grief which I'd not heard of). I tried to be so strong for him but it was difficult at times, because he changed in temperament and just wasn't the man I had been married to. None of this was his fault, of course, just the dreadful, cruel illness that he had.

The people who helped me the most, apart from my family, were the local hospice and also the MacMillan nurse. I had emotional support from the hospice which was so good - such a help to talk to someone who wasn't connected to the situation. This may help you possibly.

I have two grown up daughters and two grandchildren - they have been so good to me - we have supported each other and as they live nearby I see them on an almost daily basis. I think you also find out who your friends are, some have been just brilliant, but others that we have known for years, have kept their distance. Just one of those things, I suppose.

Please accept any help and company you can. Its very early days yet for you (and for me really) but you will get through this. I just hope my husband is looking down on me (not sure if I believe in all that or not) and thinking I'm doing ok.

Sorry to ramble on, but sometimes it does help us all to know we are not on our own in all this.

Take care of yourself,

Best wishes,

Llamalover (  Lynne) x

• Thank you so much for your lovely response. I can relate to what you’ve said about anticipatory grief. I had read about it and definitely experienced it myself.  I am so grateful that, like you, I have a loving and close family living nearby. One of my daughters came round today and we worked hard clearing a very overgrown area of the garden. We were both exhausted by the time we’d finished (took us about 5 hours)!  We both kept mentioning her Dad and he would have been so proud of her. He loved his garden but obviously over the last few months wasn’t well enough to be able to do any work on it. 

I will certainly take your advice regarding accepting help and company and I’m trying my best not to unburden myself on friends though most of them have been so lovely.  

Like you, I’d like to believe my husband is looking down on me. Maybe we just need to feel that as a comfort. 

Thank you once again. I wish you all the best. 

Lynne