My beloved wife is being erased from organisations

• 9 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Today has been a particularly  hard day. When the post arrived, not only was my beloved wifes funeral bill delivered, but notifications from financial institutions notifying me of joint accounts being changed to sole accounts. It feels as if my wife is being erased. I was sitting down opening the letters with tears streaming down my face.

I then also got a letter from the Italian Consulate with a translated copy of the death certificate. My own fault, I send the wrong amount of money to them for this translation and then I found a £10 note they had returned. This did cheer me up a little but it is another process I have to deal with when I go to Italy.

• I fully understand what you’re saying. Finances need to be sorted early on, but I found it ever so painful, taking Linda’s death certificate and other documents to the bank. But unfortunately, even when some organisations are advised, they somehow don’t register it properly, I had a phone call for Linda’s eye checkup, even though I had informed them. The only thing remains is to male our property in my sole name, doesn’t cost anything financially, but I am still struggling with it. Do need to get it done, so it’s easier for others , when my time comes.

but yes I agree, it did feel like she was slowly being erased, guess we have to think these are just organisations, no one will ever erase our memories or love for our departed spouse.

take care of you

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories

• Morning all,

After 16 months after Rob's death I am still sorting a few things re paperwork ect, but although it as been difficult, with lots of tears and tantrums, I still feel like I am doing it for Rob, I am worried about what I will do when it done.

Plus at 55 years old next week, I am sorting my own things, making it easier for who ever sorts it when I am gone. Rob was extremely organised, sadly some of the last words to me was "I aren't going to get my tax return done" I have done everything to the best of my ability, hope he will be proud.

Ok need to go tears are flowing.

Take care 

Donna

• I understand how you’re feeling. I’m still waiting for the funeral directors bill to arrive. I’ve had quite a few letters about removing my husband’s name from accounts though. Like you said, it seems as he is being erased. It’s horrible. One department that don’t seem to think a death certificate means anything is universal credit. 9 weeks after his death they are still insistent that he’s still getting state pension and are deducting it from my monthly amount. Apparently I’m also still caring for him too according to them despite me declaring I wasn’t the day after his death. It’s frustrating and upsetting. 

• I am certain Rob is immensely proud of you, especially as he believed in being organised

thinking of you x

• Hello

its hard enough notifying everyone, but to be faced with that is unacceptable. Real people don’t handle anything anymore, and those that do, who input data, are on minimum wage and most likely don’t care, it’s so wrong.

take care

• Thanks, but at times I have been damp right rude. But that's grief for you., and are truly sorry for that.  

Donna

• Hi

Not sure if it helps but all the bills e g funeral ect went straight to solititors as cane out of Rob's estate. Maybe different if you not using a solititor. 

Sending strength

Donna

• i received the funeral bill this morning. I have sent it to the solicitors as they are dealing with probate but unsure if i need to pay it in the meantime - i guess thats a question i will need to ask - but not today. Tomorrow is my 51st birthday and its less than 6 weeks since my husband passed away. Officially i am on sick leave but there is so much paperwork to do i never get time to rest. Today however, i have done everything on my "today" list - i have one every day, and this afternoon i am just going to chill. I'm taking myself off on a spa break for the weekend as cannot bear to be at home tomorrow - even though i know my family wants to look after me - I just need to take myself away. I really hope it gets easier to bear the pain. 

• Sounds a very relaxing way to spend your Birthday, I find swimming a comfort, but doesn’t stop my mind, reliving memories, it’s such a deep sadness, and yes I think the pain will ease, but our memories and love will last for an eternity.

take care