I gave birth alone

• 8 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi. 

7 months ago I lost my husband, he was 21, I was 20. We were meant to go grey together, we’ve known each other since we were 5 years old! We’ve been dating since we were 12, and I know that sounds crazy and everyone thought it was just a little kiddie relationship that would be over and done with in a few days or so. But even at 12 I knew it wasn’t. We eloped on my 18th, lost  a lot of friends because of it. But I didn’t really care. 

We have 3 year old twin boys, an 18 month old daughter and after his death I realised I was 4 months pregnant. Twins again. He never got the chance to even KNOW he was going to be a dad again. And if there isn’t an afterlife out there, he died thinking he was a father of 3 and that breaks my heart. I went two weeks after my due date and I had to be induced. My sister, who adopted me when my mum died, and my best friend fell down with covid the day before I was set to be induced. I’m Australian and moved to England so my aunty and cousin flew out from Australia to be with me but they didn’t make it in time.

I gave birth alone. Something I never ever thought I’d do. The midwives were there but it wasn’t the same, I had a stranger holding my hand. I delivered for 26 hours! 26! With Delilah I was in and out the delivery room in about 2! 

But oh my god, I think it was worth it. I know it was worth it. All the grief and pain and every awful things surrounding Nathaniel’s death was suddenly shoved to the back of the queue.

Nathaniel Dean Delacroix Jr and Eliza Isabelle Delacroix both tiny despite being 2 weeks late at 6 lb 8 oz.

It’s funny because Nathanial always had dreamt of a little boy that was identical to him. The first set of twins were both little-mes and he was secretly devastated. But our daughter was the spit of him. And while he loved to rub my nose in that, history repeats Its self

Little Nathaniel came out looking nothing like him, all me, but Eliza the spit of him. I can just picture his face now. 

They're the most precious things on earth, they don’t cry, their little angels. And when I’m stressed at night, all 5 of my babies will be in my bed. I’ll just watch, I won’t sleep, I’ve realised I’m luckier then a lot of people. Some people don’t get the chance to have children with their loved ones, some can’t have children entirely. And yet I’ve had 5 in the space of 3 and a bit years. 

And I know that Nathanial won’t get to hold them, I know they won’t have one single memory of who their father was, all 5 of them won’t. I’ll keep his memory alive as best as I can. It will never be the same, never be as good but it’s getting better.

First time since his diagnosis I can go to bed with a smile. I’m struggling probably more then most the mums out there but every mother struggles. I do it for my kids, I continue because I’m a mum.

I’ve realised I can’t be super mum. I’m just Ivy Delacroix. This crazy 21-year-old Australian widow with 5 kids. Every day is challenging and I don’t know where the next pay check is coming from, where I’ll be tomorrow let alone in a years time. It could be good, it could be bad. I’ll take one step at a time. 

I’ve had my days of crying. And I continue to cry but no matter what at the end of the day I continue on. I miss his smile, his attitude, making up to breakfast being the made, the way he made the kids laugh, his stupid jokes and weird singing outbursts, I miss coming home to him screaming to the tv when his football team is winning. But I see that everyday, more and more in my children. 

Ivy

mama of Abel, Phoenix, Delilah-Mae, Nathanial and Eliza. 

• Very sad, what happened to your husband?

• He was diagnosed with a brain tumor after getting headaches for quite a while, we both thought nothing of it but my sister (a nurse) urged him to go for a check up. He had stage 3 brain cancer.  

• you are a young girl and have a whole life in front of you. I know its hard but you have to take care of yourself for your beautiful and you should contact the social services to get some support as there are good therapist available. You have to start a new life at some point. 

We are all here for each other, please let us know if we can help you

Love Ghaz xxx

• I’m so sorry , we are all here because we lost someone , but you have had it tough, love to you and your family Heart

• Hi Ivy 

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful twins and we'll do e Yiu for being such a fantastic mum and wife. 

I hope you continue to get so much pleasure and comfort from your children. I am sure you can keep his memory alive.but children are amazing and will stun you with the resilience. 

My two were just 14 and almost 10 when their dad died. Then 20 and 16 when their stepdad died. They were not that close to their stepdad, that was my mistake in life! He was never as good as their dad,vwho was my childhood sweetheart. But I can say my children have supported me, got me through tough times on lots of occasions and I think I have brought them up to be amazing individuals  whom I am incredibly proud of. I am sure that you will bring up your children in just the same way and be proud too. 

It can be tough at times but I see how well I have done now and I have kept up my career too. I think that Yiu are also a strong young lady, don't rush things and enjoy all your mum moments. 

Take care 

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• Dear Ivy, I am lost for words after reading your heartbreaking story. 

You sound so strong. I bet you're a wonderful mum. You & your husband were so fortunate to have found each other so early. You must have been amazing together.

Sweetheart, I don't know what else to say except that my heart breaks for you and your little ones. I hope you can feel some of the love and hugs I'm sending you and your tiny innocent babies.

I am holding you in my heart and thoughts.   Heart️ 

God bless xxxxx

• I'm so sorry that you're going through this hard life at such a young age. Accept all the help you can and have time for you. 

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • Hi Ivy,

I was thinking about you the other day as  I remembered your post from a while back when you were pregnant and first came on this forum.

Congratulations on the birth of your little ones... the new borns and their bigger siblings. I admire your resilience and strength that shines through in the proud way you write about your family.

Your children will know their Daddy... you will tell them all about him and they will learn from you just how much their Daddy loved all of them.

Of course you will have hard days, days when the simplest of tasks are a challenge ... all mums do. But you should be so proud of yourself. 

Don't forget to take some "me" time occasionally, even if it's just 5 minutes to recharge your body and soul.

Take care

Mym x