Downward spiral

• 6 replies
  • 27 subscribers

I lost my husband in Dec, 6 months after being diagnosed with lung cancer. My husband was Kuwaiti, I'm British we lived in Kuwait when he was diagnosed and then travelled to England for private treatment, we arrived in the UK on the 25th of September.  Everything went downhill very, very fast. I was caring for him in a house we rented about an hour away from the hospital, I couldn't get any community help as Jassim didn't have an NHS number. The night he passed away I had to call 999 as his breathing had got really bad, he passed away 5 hours later in A & E in my arms. Everything after is a blur, my feet didn't touch the ground, I had to close the house up, organise to get the body neck to Kuwait for burial, go through all the paperwork processes in UK and then again in Kuwait, family division and arguments, inheritance all on top of trying to feal with my own grief, which is dealt with so differently over here, 3 days after the funeral you are supposed to move on, get on with your life, nobody gives you any time. I felt I was doing okay but the last week or so have have spiraled into depression, Kuwait doesn't really recognise mental health or grief, I'm really struggling, don't want to do anything, bursting into tears, staring into space the only good thing is I am sleeping. I reached our to a doctor today and he gave me some seroxat tablets but put on the insurance form that it was for tension headaches he said he better not put it was for depression! I'm sorry this is such a long post, thank you for being patient with me and taking the time to read

• I am so sorry to hear this, it is bad enough that you have lost your husband let alone have ot go through all the rest. i TOTALLY UNDERSTAND SPIRALING OUT OF CONTROL, AT TIMES MY HEAD FEELS LIKE IT IS GOING TO EXPLODE.

The Macmillan help group are really good, l rang them quite abit when Pete was poorly and before and after he died. Is there anyway that you can speak to one of the support groups by phone? x

• Tbh I had thought about it but I can't call an 0800 number from Kuwait and the cost of a regular phone call is crazy. I just have the money right now as the Kuwait government has frozen all Jassim's money until the inheritance is sorted, the system out here is completely different to the UK, I'm replying on family for everything right now, which I hate

• So sorry to read your post Helfire.

I cannot begin to imagine the added stress you must be under so soon after losing your partner.

Sadly, I have no practical advice to give you as I  can imagine you are so limited due to the laws of the land you reside in. I would ask if there is any way you can return to UK for a while whilst things are sorted, but I suspect you need to be there to try and fight for it all to be finalised.

Try to stay strong and I send you a big hug and pray things will work out asap so you can be given the chance to grieve your loss without pressure from others.

x

• Thank you so much for replying Two hearts  I really don't think I can live here without Jassim, but I need to sort everything out here before I can go, but wherever I I'll be starting from the beginning x

• So sorry for you. Of course you need to grieve. 

Sending you a big hug xxx