So terribly lonely

• 11 replies
  • 26 subscribers

I lost my husband 3 and a half years ago due to brain cancer, I moved from Italy where I lived with him to Austria, where my sons live. The relocation took place 2 years ago but I still feel so lonely, it is a very deep sensation that doesn't leave me. Corona cut off any social life, I haven't found friends,I mean real friends, not superficial people....it is so hard. I lost my front tooth implant in August last year and have to face a very heay jawbone reconstruction, more than one surgery and I feel not able to face it alone. I miss my husband still so much and I think I won't be able to get over it. I had a lot of therapy but it does not help me really. The deep feeling of his loss is still here, different than in the beginning, but it is here. How can this ever pass ? 

• First things first, I can't believe that you are ugly, with or without the retainer you are still you.  Ugly has nothing to do with how you see yourself and I promise others see you completely differently to your image of yourself.  I am living proof of that, married an absolutely beautiful princess, often told that i was "punching well above my weight" no idea what she saw in me but I don't doubt that she saw something that I couldn't.

Gill had the same "ugly" issue when she lost her crowning glory (long curly hair), the wig actually looked great but she never saw it that way, to me it made no difference she was still amazing and beautiful.

As an engineer I am definitely not qualified to give relationship advice (tactless and always miss the subtle hint), haven't had to go through the trauma of a divorce so have no idea how it feels.  But I do know that losing Gill has left me "empty inside" not sure that I would actually want someone to fill that void, friendship, maybe in time but a relationship - no.  So I can understand you wanting to hang about with others that are also looking for friendship rather than a relationship.

My advice - get out with friends, if they are friends they will already know your good and bad points, and I promise that their image of you is nothing like your image of you.