Six week crash

• 6 replies
  • 29 subscribers

My husband Gareth passed away on 10th November.Our lovely hospice nurse who had visited us at home for the last year told me that it is often after about six weeks that the realisation of what has happened really hits you.Unfortunately we are at that point now,not helped by Christmas looming.Both my son and I are having a bad week.It is just so difficult to comprehend that Gareth has gone and will never come back. I think all through his illness neither of us really thought it would actually happen even though we knew it would. I can’t imagine what it must be like to loose a loved one very suddenly without any warning. I will access some counselling in the new year,I have coped quite well up until now by being busy but there isn’t so much to do now.Has anyone else had the six week crash.We used to try to go away for Christmas,often somewhere hot and sunny,I suffer with SAD and it has always helped me to have some sunshine in the winter. 

• Sorry to hear this and for your loss. Christmas is a hard time. Try to take it easy and no pressure. Do as you want and feel right for you.

Take care. 

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• Hi Alice45,

Do what you need to do to get through the next week don’t try to please other people this year is about you & your son. I too would normally be away at this time of year mainly to escape the hype 2 years ago Craig & I had a wonderful trip to Africa and we were away for 3.5 weeks oh how I miss the warmth on my skin and it feels like it breaks winter up, fingers crossed we can head away next year.

wishing you a peaceful festive season

Tracey xx

• Hi Tracey, I agree,much preferred to holiday in the winter.Our best Christmas was 9 years ago when we went to Dubai.Our son and his wife were working out there and we had a big family gathering,spent Christmas Day on the beach,it was wonderful.My holidays now will be as a grandchildren help,but that will be great as well.Lets hope we can next year.

Love to all Mary

• Hi Alice,

As Tracey and Allison said, take it easy. I can't remember my 6 weeks after. I think I was numb still. But in any case it doesn't really matter. You'll find that you'll be down for a while, and then you'll go back up again, especially if you've managed quite well up until now. It's still very raw right now and it takes time but you seem to be managing. Counselling might help too.

Christmas is a terrible time for everybody in pain because of all the pressure, but if you can, try to not care too much about it. Do what feels right and be gentle with yourself. Small steps, etc.

I've been thinking about buying a therapy light for a while now, it seems to be working great. Maybe you should treat yourself with one! Doesn't beat actually going somewhere hot and sunny, but it's better than nothing. Slight smile

Take care xx

Antoine

• I've been using a therapy light for a couple of months and it's one of the best investments I've ever made.  I would very much recommend giving it a go.

• Hello

yes that’s a difficult time, I felt I just couldn’t go on, life seemed so pointless, I knew if I could be a little stronger I would come out of the other side. People tell you, it will get better over time, but so soon after a loss, it’s really impossible to believe it. But please believe me, you will slowly find the really intense pain will ease, I still cry, sometimes for the silliest reasons, but beginning to feel that I can actually manage, it’s not a life or reality I want, but one I have to accept, I am at 5 months now, feel so empty inside. I had to accept that I needed some medical support and the Citalopram really has helped, I hate taking medications, but sometimes we just need a little help. Was offered counselling, but talk so much about my feelings to family I don’t think it would help me, but have a phone number, in case I change my mind. It really does help some people, we are all so different.

be kind to yourself, you need to grieve and cry, I listen to relaxation music, although it does make me cry, I do feel calmer afterwards, a few days ago I actually feel asleep listening to it.

Keep safe and well

Sweat Linda You are my best memory, You are all of my best memories