The Eulogy.

• 7 replies
  • 28 subscribers

As some of you will be aware, I lost my beautiful wife on 3rd November.

In my previous post`s  I explored music had black tie blues and just shared with you how I was feeling at all my dreams being torn away, to quote Gilbert O`Sullivan " My heart so badly broken," and the fact my world was now empty.

Yesterday [ 10th Dec ], I received a phone call to inform me that approval would be given when I sign a form for the funeral

process to begin.

I have spent the last six weeks existing not living, and I now need to put pen to paper to condense 22 years into a few 

minutes of speech that I don`t even know if I will be able to deliver, how do I begin? what do I say?

Many of you helped with " I love you because," and I am sure you will deliver again.

I found a great line in the song " All out of love " by air supply.

I Want her to come back and carry me home away from these long lonely nights.

I was asked at work the other day what do I want from santa? you can imagine the answer I just want my Deb back.

Try and stay strong my friends, I am finding it very hard to do.

John.

• Hi John, I had exactly the same thoughts as you but started by just jotting down a small sentence/ few words as I remembered things. I split Craigs euology into sections, bit about family, work, sporting life and our wonderful holidays. I had a humanist minister and I wanted to keep the service as uplifting as possible and even managed to inject humour into it! You will manage to find the right words/ stories as you knew Deb better than anyone it will allow you an opportunity for her to shine.

sending hugs Tracey xx

• Hi Tracey,

Thank you for your reply and kind words of support.

Big Hug.

John x

• John, I started with a time line and it expanded from there. Luckily I have an English PhD student who turned it into a real story , do you know someone good with words that might help you?  We had the Celebrant deliver it, you don't have to do it yourself, I'm sure I would've either mumbled my way through it, or broken down.

My husband (died 1st Nov, funeral 24th Nov) he loved G&S too, and all music, but mainly classical. I booked the longer service at the Crem to allow time for more music which I felt helped express some of his personality and the depth of the love we shared. 

He went in to Smetner Ma Vlast, which we had at our wedding. For the reflection and pre committal we had the Beatles Blackbird, and the Benedictus from Carl Jenkins Armed Man, to finish Saint Saens Allegro from the 3rd organ symphony at the end, also used for our wedding and heard several times on the magnificent organ at the RAH ! 

• Hi John, I had the same problem.  I divided it up and went from his early family life, to work and then how he contributed to life in our village as he contributed so much.  I took quotes from the many lovely messages I received and they ended up forming almost all of the eulogy.  It ended up as a lovely tribute to his life in the words of those who knew and loved him.  Songs were Someone you Loved by Lewis Capaldi, a lovely cover of Wind Beneath My Wings and Flowers in the Window by Travis which was a special song from when we first met. A friend from the village delivered the eulogy as there was no way I could have done it myself, so please don't feel under any pressure to do it yourself.

It took me ages to write the eulogy and choose the songs which delayed the funeral for a while as I wanted to get it right.

You'll know in your heart what the right things are to do when you make your choices.  We are all with you on this journey.

Take care.

• John,

just another couple of things which I did and found helpful on the day of Craigs funeral I chose not to have a car and travelled in the hurse to the crematorium with him as we don’t have children & his parents decided not to come over from Spain so I would of followed in a big car on my own, I also left the crematorium last so I could have a couple of minutes on my own with Craig to say my final goodbye and then compose myself before meeting all the guests outside.

Tracey xx

• Hello Peachez

Thank you for your reply and support.

I must admit I have never looked into classical music, but a quick visit to you-tube left me with one comment.

Wow.

The music you mention is in a different league, I am sure I will listen to Smetner more than once.

Stay safe.

John.

• Hello nicsmrs

Thank you for your reply and kind words of support, I will keep the group posted.

Stay safe and thank you again.

John.