Sleep

• 11 replies
  • 29 subscribers

I am having real problems sleeping. I can’t imagine how much harder it will make things when I have to go back to work in a couple of weeks, but it makes me anxious.

It’s getting to sleep that’s the problem - once I do, then I mostly stay asleep until I reach for my husband in the morning and remember all over again. Anyone have any recommendations for anything I can ask my GP for?

Also, I seem to be getting worse rather than better. It’s really early days - my husband died 10 days ago - but I get more upset and more frequently. Anyone else?

• I find getting to sleep so difficult as the minute the light goes out my brain fizzes into action and I can’t stop . But I have started using the Calm app and it’s been a game changer. I’ve just woken after a seven hour sleep. I choose the stories and honestly I never hear the end of the them.  My favourite is Sienna the Sleepy Sloth by David Williams but the voices of Alan Skalar, Anna Acton and Tamara Levitt work really well for me as well. It cost me £19.99 for a years subscription and it’s been worth every penny to me. There’s a music, meditation, guidance etc on there too so maybe you could try it too.  Hope that helps.

June

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Amanda278,

Myself after my wife Lynn passed away I would spray her perfume on her pillow and often hug her pillow in bed.   To this day I have her pyjamas folded up along with bed socks on her side of the bed.   These items have Lynn’s scent on, in a small way give me some comfort having her belongings close.   

Your GP may prescribe sleeping tablets for a short period just so you can get a decent nights sleep, might be worth making an appointment.

I hope this helps.

Peter

• You are right it is early days and it is normal given what we have gone through. Sleeping tablets don’t always give the desired effect, can be addictive over a period of time, may give a hangover effect into the morning, if you do try them don’t take them every night but use them perhaps if you’ve not slept well for 3-4 nights. Fresh air & physical activity helps and agree with Will6 calm app. 
    sending hugs xx

• Thank you. Got to be worth a try. Even getting ready for bed makes me anxious and miserable now. Like you, it’s the time when there are no distractions from just how unhappy I am. 

• It’s just so lonely isn’t it, longing for someone who isn’t there

• I think anything chemical will be very much a last resort for me. 

Hope tomorrow goes well. 

• Thanks Amanda, not had my best nights sleep for obvious reasons, big girl pants at the ready for today gonna be a tough one for sure. 
    Tracey xx

• Will be thinking of you x

• Hi everyone,

My heart goes out to all of you who cannot sleep. Thankfully, sleep has always been okay for me. Even before Paul died I was taking one 7.5 mg Zorclone sleeping tablet each night, and I have continued that, even if from a medical point of view this is not a good thing perhaps, but I feel that it is so very important for me to sleep - that at least should be a safe haven - that I keep taking it and have no intentions to stop. I sometimes wake up really early which I hate, but at least I sleep most through the night.

Lots of love to you all, Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi. I also use the calm app.  I even have to use AirPods to listen to it otherwise my brain will manage to block out the sleep story but with these I always get to sleep. I also sleep with a rolled up throw (that was the last thing Dave used as he passed away ) and I spray his aftershave on it. I find cuddling that and and listening to a story really helps me. I also have a photo that I say good night and good morning to. It’s now over a month since Dave went to his forever sleep and I feel like it’s getting harder at the minute. I think at first you have to deal with all the practical things but now they’re all done and it’s hitting home that he’s not coming back. I’ve cried more in the last week than I did in the first three but I’m giving myself time to do this - having time on my own as I know I bottle it up when my family are  around. 
    It’s very early days for all of us. 

Take care  x x