Ashes are ready - but am I

• 22 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Just been told that Daves ashes are ready to collect and I don’t know how I am going to cope with knowing that is all that remains of him. It feels like it’s getting harder not easier. I’m crying more than I did initially - like now while sat in my office (thank god I don’t share with anyone ) We have a special place where I know I want to spread his ashes but I again I don’t know if I can cope in being in that place without him.

Has anyone else had to do this yet and is doing so, how ?

Heartbroken

Jillian  

• All these things are the ultimate in distress purchases, no?

I’ve just been looking at urns online as I didn’t like any of those at the funeral directors. And for half of today I talked myself into having the ashes turned into a diamond. But it’s so prohibitively expensive that I know my husband would be horrified so I can’t really do it. 

For me, it’s just grasping hold of anything that will make me feel as if he’s still here with me. And - for me at any rate - nothing can do that. 

• They certainly are. I’m fortunate that we managed to have some keepsakes made a few months ago. I have a silver heart necklace that has Daves actual fingerprint on it (which is on a long chain so it’s next to my heart)   and we had a hand cast done too. 

• my daughter has a cast of her and her dad  holding hands , it has helped her so much.

Thanks to you guys I have found some lovely shakers on amazon and will def order one.  I had never thought about that so thank you.

Glenis

x

•  I had some jewellery made using small amounts of ashes by a company called Ever With. I had solid silver  which was about £150.

• Hi everyone on this thread,

I have read all your posts. When it was time for me to collect Paul's ashes three weeks after the funeral, I was ready to bring him home. I put the urn on the stairs, into a lovely corner where he and I used to sit and enjoy our house together, and for a while I sat down every evening before going to bed, with my hand on the urn, talking to him quietly about my day. Sometimes I would pray for him saying that I really and truly wished that he was at peace and safe now. But I always knew that one day I would want to release Paul into the earth, back into nature where he felt so at home. 14 months after he came home to me, I decided to release him into the Irish sea. I regreted that only once or twice afterwards, thought that I would have preferred to keep his ashes and let them be mixed when my time comes, but those moments last only a little while and then I remember again my reason for doing what I have done and it is good as it is. I would say: collect the ashes whenever you are ready, the funeral directors have experience with this and they will understand and keep them there until you are ready. There is no rush with anything here.

Love and hugs, Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi everyone 

I have read all the posts and we all have the similar problems over ashes,  The funeral director delivered Maureen s ashes back to me, I wasn’t sure if I was ready but didn’t like her being at the funeral home.  I was worried how I would deal with have her ashes in a box but I have actually found it comforting in a strange way, I have them in the lounge beside a chair where I sit frequently during the day and talk to her, get angry that she has left me then apologise for being angry with her I now wonder how I am going to honour our agreement of where along with her beloved dogs ashes are to be scattered ,  can I let her go again?welcome to the mad mess of my mind !!!!!!!!

hugs to you all xx

• It took me a while to collect Ric's but I ended up just taking them when I paid the bill! I couldn't scatter them at the time because of covid and I didn't want them in the house. So he sat in the summerhouse from April until August! 

I put a small pot in the garden with his dog tags, planted a rose there but I have since built decking there instead so technically he is under the decking/patio! 

I scattered him in August on a date that meant something to him at Covington army camp with his parents ashes! I felt a huge relief when I set him free and felt I could move forward then.

Love and hugs Alison x

• When I was told my darling Sharon’s ashes were ready (Monday 15/11) I couldn’t wait to collect them to bring her home where she belongs. I purchased a beautiful bronze urn she would have loved. Now I have them on a table in my living room beside her picture. Each evening I light a candle by her and just feel her presence is with me somehow, and mad as it may sound I do talk to her. This helps me feel I have not lost her entirely, like many say I too have got a small amount separately to be used for keepsake jewellery (would appreciate any recommendations for companies doing this).

I will be purchasing a plot where we both and our dog Tillys ashes can be laid together, we can also design the plot and plant any type of tree we wish in a lovely rural setting. I also looked at “life for a life” who allow you to acquire a tree where you can dedicate this in memory and use as your plot.

keep battling on Jillian,

best wishes

Paul x

• Hi Paul

I can recommend a company called "Ever With" for jewellery and if you think a glass ornament with ashes would suit you,  I used a company called "Our Glass Cockington"

If you scroll back you will see an earlier post of mine on this tgread where I added a photo of the items I have had made.

'Ever With'  do a range of mens jewellery as well and will send you a catalogue and the items needed to complete your order.. ring sizer, bag for ashes etc. Prices vary depending on material, gold, silver, platinum.

I think I paid £80 for my glass ornament and I also had it engraved by them with Mark's name and a message. You can pick your design, shape, colour and the ashes are visible suspended within the solid glass.

Hope this info helps.

Mym

• These are beautiful Jillybean, I never got chance to do anything like this as Craig was taken from me so quickly xx