A break in isolation but now don’t want to go home.

• 14 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Last Thursday 4th Nov we had my darling Sharon’s funeral service. The next day I came away to a very isolated cottage in mid Wales accompanied by my brother and his partner for help and support, our dogs came also. We have enjoyed the total solitude, long walks and just resting, it has really done me good, still had lots of “moments of tears and sadness” but they fully understand and accept this. I don’t know how I will ever be able to repay them for all their kindness, support and help at the worst period of my life. Pretty sure without them I wouldn’t be where I am now ! Today I took a long walk just me and our little yorkie (Tilly)), and for most the time I spoke openly as if Sharon were by my side and pretended to hold her hand, little crazy I suppose but somehow I felt she was close to me and she hear what I was saying.

Problem now is we go home on Friday and I’m dreading it, returning to an empty house full of memories and reminders, and the fact I must face up to a totally different life living on my own. I just dont feel mentally or physically up to all the responsibilities and matters to be sorted on my own, I simply want to curl up, sleep and then wake up from what, part of me still believes, is a very very bad dream !

Despite all the R&R I have enjoyed this week, which is just what Sharon would have wanted for me), I must admit to feeling some guilt that here I am “enjoying” a short break but without my soulmate and best friend. My psychologist has explained such feelings of guilt are unnecessary and unfounded, but still I get them, almost like I am letting my darling wife down, I know it’s ridiculous but my minds all over the place still.

Take Care all,

Paul x

• Thank you everyone for your support, I just get scared that I'm never going to be me again my old self, I suppose I can't because there is a large part of me missing, but I want to enjoy our children the life we made but right now I'm afraid I just don't know how to to it on my own x

• But I didn't think I would get through the first weeks so 8 weeks on and  I'm still here I'm amazed still have days when I can't eat don't know what that is about, functioning is such hard work x
  • Hi Jayne,

I think everyone on this bereavement forum will understand exactly how you are feeling. It will be one month on Wednesday since my darling wife passed away, and I have no drive or motivation to do anything really. Today I actually told myself Sharon would not want me to just sit around wallowing and so I pushed myself very hard to deal with some paperwork. Afterwards I was exhausted and had to lie down, just the smallest thing can set me off.

however what I would say is that so long as you are on this forum you will not be alone, I find it really helps me to chat with people who genuinely know what we are all going through. No one can truly understand unless they have been through the same experience that we have.

keep battling on Jayne I am sure that’s what your dear husband would want you to do, and never be afraid to come on the forum and discuss or rant about your day, etc…

Take Care and a hug,

Paul

• Thankyou so much everyone is so kind, at least we are all hurting together think about you all when I'm nodding and when I wake in the night alone so we should be grateful for being able to connect, and I know we all genuinely do know how bad this experience is take care everyone try again tomorrow yeh x