Going abroad

• 7 replies
  • 28 subscribers

My husband died 6 months ago. We have a holiday home abroad. It was my husbands dream and we were lucky to enjoy a lot of time there over the years. I am planning to go for a week soon, with my daughter and grandchildren, but I am dreading it. I know it’s something I have to do but I am finding it so hard. Has anyone else been in this situation. All advice welcome. 

• Hi Mary, The first thing I did after my husband died was travel to Corfu with 30 people I didn’t know.  It was a group of people from this site, all widowed.  I knew if I didn’t do it then I never would, so, off I went.  I had a great time and never looked back.  I was also dreading it and thought about cancelling more than once but am so glad I did it.  So, I’d say go, enjoy your time with your daughter and grandchildren.  If you don’t do it now it will only get harder.

• Hi Annfran. Thank you for your reply. I am taking it as something of an omen as my husband was from Corfu and that is where we are going. I know it will get harder the longer I leave it 

• My husband passed away 7 weeks ago and my daughter and i decided to go to Greece together for a week.  It’s been hard without him and we’ve had a few tears.

we were meant to be moving to Spain, i’m planning on going over as soon as I feel I can to buy a holiday home for us, it’s going to be hard but I can do something he wanted from life, i’m planning on taking his ashes there when I have a home as that’s where he wanted to be.

Go and enjoy yourself 

• Good for you, I have been looking at the Saga Singles holidays as I can’t expect friends abd daughter to keep holidaying with me.  

Hiw did the holiday happen? 

• I was dreading going back to the coast last Summer because that's where we spent our last holidays together, and we already knew that they would be the last ones. We went there with friends, incidentally almost because it wasn't the main destination, and it was cathartic. The feelings were still there, but instead of being just reliving those memories, we also added new happy memories to them, so that this place became even more special.

Going on holiday to her family's house where she grew up for the first anniversary in August was another big step for me. It was really weird, but in the end it was alright. I think that going with your daughter and grandchildren is the best thing to do (rather than alone), it will bring you lots of new memories while keeping your husband's memory close.

Take care xx

Antoine

• Thank you for your replies and encouragement. I went to our holiday home with my daughter and grandchildren. 1st time I had flown without my husband. It was very hard and I nearly chickened out but I am glad I went. Another big first and hopefully will be a bit less stressful next year. My husband was Greek. I think he will be very pleased to see us still using the house. I am also glad he encouraged us to drive over there so we can still get around. 

• good for you, I also went to Rhodes with my daughter, wasn’t as stressful as I though it would be.  We both thought about him a lot and yes there were a few tears but I’m glad I went for some R&R.

Robs cousins have booked a Warner’s in January and I’m also going to that, will be hard as over the years we have had such a good time as couples there. 

Our lives have to move on, but it’s not easy is it?