Trying something new

• 12 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi,

I am trying to try a few new things. I think I might get some laughs out of that. So. I have a great crop of damsons here so I am going to try making some jam. I did do it once many years ago, but I am not a cook. I a, more attuned to things like riveting on my flue cap or cleaning wheel bearings. 

I will gratefully accept any hints and tips. Like when is the best time to pick them. 

Viv

• Great idea! I can't help you with jam (but I'll follow this thread to learn!) But I've found personally that starting new things has been extremely helpful to help me start a new part of my life. Within a year I've stopped alcohol (not that I was drinking much but it felt weird drinking without my wife), became a vegan, went back to drawing a bit more and started piano lessons just recently.

Good luck with the jam!

Xx

• Devin, thank you for your encouragement. I am interested to hear that you think it has helped you. I have done a few other things which have required some research and I think it got my brain engageGrinningmuch more than stuff I do as a habit.. I will only be doing this on Friday but I have been researching tips and hints and gathering things like my jars etc.. Tomorrow I aim to pick the damsons in reGrinninginess for the off on Friday Grinning.

Viv

• I have almost completely redecorated. I want my house to be me again. He changed everything and not to my taste! 

I have got lots of friends again, some old back and some new. I have a social life. I have been seeing a man for a year, it is going ok but I can't really see a future because I am scared to totally commit but that is fine for now. I like to live one day at a time now. 

My daughter is 18 today. She will be off to uni next year no doubt. My son has nearly saved enough to buy his own property, so I guess I will be alone this time next year! Maybe I will change a few more things by then. Who knows? 

But at the end of the day, it is good to be you and try new things! Great for going vegan! What on earth do you eat? My daughter has been vegetarian 6 months and I struggle! 

Damson jam sounds great. I tried strawberry once and it was very runny. So care with the setting process! Lol. 

Take care 

Lots of love Alison xxx

• Viv, I'm counting on you to update us on the whole jam cooking process. I've let rhubarb rot before I did anything with it, I'm not proud. 

Yes trying new things has been very cathartic to get out of the "life without" syndrome, because it brings new ideas, new activities, and it's also quite nice and important to do it FOR YOURSELF! Part of being in a couple long time is to adjust even without thinking all our personal desires to the others, so it's a good way to shake things up a bit now and think What do I really want to do? The world is your oyster!

Alison, I've been following your path. I'm changing things more and more in the house. Juliette is still there, there a massive photo of her in the living room but I'm now moving things my way, changing the frames, etc. It has to be that way for me to be able to build a new adventure in my life. Meeting new people was also super helpful because these people don't see you as part of a broken couple but for who you are on your own and it helped me change the image I had of myself too. Happy birthday to your daughter again! :D 
    Going vegan is super exciting! It feels good to be doing the right thing and it's a whole new world of tasty things to try out. I bought a new recipes book and I'm trying recipes one by one to see if they're good enough to be in the book. Latest are Lentil Dahl (tasty!), How to cook Agretti, Lime Pickle, and Fake cheese done with Cashews (and too much garlic for my first try but I'll adjust). Going vegan is much easier than it was 10 years ago because you can very easily find replacements for dairies. And then it's a lot of veg, beans and lentils (I'm only starting with those), exciting spices, your good ol starch, and fruits and tons of very tasty treats too. Smiley

• Well done to you Devin. 

It is so important to be you. I feel so much happier doing things my way! 

I painted the kitchen the other day, used a brush as he kept on it was the right way, now done it with a roller as I thought right and it is much better!! I knew I was always right!!! Lol

I tried a lentil bake the other day, it was not an overwhelming success! I hate cooking really! But a night out tonight for the birthday! 

Keep up the good work.

Take care

Alison x

• Well done Devin, and Alison, 

I am no cook Smiley. I cook to live rather than live to cook. I am much happier with working on the boat. But I have my damsons and I have my jars. Tomorrow is jam day. Watch this space . I hope I can get it to set coLaughingectly Laughing

Viv

• I am no cook either! Hate it to be honest! But I don't mind baking! 

I have done the obligatory birthday cake today! I started it from my children's first birthday, making themed cakes! I keep saying they are too old now but no, still doing so. I would be a no no to buy one! Lol 

Enjoy the jam making. Sounds fun 

Love Alison xxx

• I didn't used to cook that much before. Just once in a while to make it a bit special. Then when the diagnosis was there, part of the adjustments was to eat better, more vegs and fruits and less industrially produced food. Then I started to take that cooking time to actually get out of my crazy daily life and focus on something else. It's also good for me because I'm a website developer, so doing something tangible once in a while is a necessity! 
    Now I'm excited about starting new recipes and spending time in the kitchen listening to podcasts while trying to understand how to do this! I'm still clueless about a lot of things (like jam making) but it's quite fun. And you get to eat what you cook, which can be very nice or not.

If I had a boat, I would probably spend less time in the kitchen and more on the boat though!

Happy Jam Day!

• My jam making was a success. I am really surprised at myself! 

• Congratulations!!

You can be proud of yourself Slight smile

That's inspiring!

I did sushis with my daughters last night with mixed results but had lots of fun so we'll try again.