IT'S STILL A NUMB LIFE AFTER 2YRS +

• 7 replies
  • 30 subscribers

My  name is Geoff  I'm 75yrs. Married 50yrs to my soul mate Anne who I love with all my soul. She passed with pancreatic cancer 2yrs +.

I've lost the spark of life. I no longer go fishing after 57rs. I've finished with Tai Chi, Zhan Zhuang and cycling. There's no point anymore. I do on a daily basis what has to be done. Housework, shopping, washing clothes, essential gardening. Major jobs I used to do I now pay someone else  to do them for me. I can't be bothered. And  I desire  alcohol everyday to drift into a world of mellow acceptance - always after 3pm,  because half a day of so called normal life is enough for me. I'm finished after that. I go numb. 

I miss all that I did for my Anne with her much loved shopping trips plus her many health problems. And I miss everything she did for me including her cooking which she said was always created with love. 

Please don't think I expect any responses to my post. What could you possibly say my friends. I'm just talking.

Love Geoff.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Geoff,

I adopted a rescue greyhound dog last year, an ex racer.  Best thing I ever did.  She gets me up and out of the house hail rain or shine walking her around my neighbourhood, she motivates me and is incredibly loving and affectionate.   A dog isn’t for everyone but she helps me cope with my grief.  Nothing will replace my gorgeous Lynn but my dog is helping me giving me structure and routine.

• Hi Geoff

I always think why would anyone care but we all do. Grief seems like a never ending journey of new lessons to be learned. Like Jebel I have a dog but she is very old and is so loved - she was always hubbys dog for walks but as he deteriorated I took it on and to be honest without her some days I’d never get over the step. If you didn’t feel you could take on a dog full time perhaps you could try fostering one as I know rescue centres always need help. One of my hubby’s favourite part time jobs was dog walking at a local rescue centre - I know it’s not for ever but it helps me and he loved it.

Take care my friend.

• Dear Geoff,

Do you think it may help if you were able to speak to a Counsellor? 
    I lost my wonderful Husband 30/4/21, I have had 2 counselling sessions, I’m having my 3rd tomorrow.I know it’s very early days for me, but I really do feel it is helping me so much.

Best wishes

Cheffy60

• Hi Cheffy60,

I had counselling many years ago for clinical depression but although beneficial in the first instance I found it very short lived. I now take meds which only touch the problem.  But for others I know counselling has been truly helpful. I suppose for me the bottom line is this. No amount of therapy will fill the huge void I have inside that used to be filled with the love and presence of my darling Anne.

At  aged 75 and married to my girl for 50yrs I'm living in the past when we were together. So the only future now is to live one day at a time ( Annes favourite Saying) until its my turn to pass over and be with her again. I'm so sorry I can't be more positive Cheffy60. 

Geoff x

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Hi Geoff. I'm not going to suggest things to try, I've had enough of that myself. For some of us and I include myself here we just have no way to fill the emptiness. Be assured I'm thinking of you and hopefully you'll get some rest tonight.

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • Hi Geoff, 

I wish there was an answer a simple fix, a really hope you can at least try one of your hobbies again.  Take care x 

• I totally understand where you are coming from. Three years this month for me, and I still feel empty and as if there is no joy in the world anymore. I'm only 65 and I hope that I can find some semblance of happiness again. I love my children and grandchildren, but it will never take my Chris' place. I miss him more and more each day. The pain never goes away...

Here's to hoping for a slightly better tomorrow...

Martha

"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) ..."
    Life must end, but love is eternal.