Tough day

• 1 reply
  • 26 subscribers

My partner, Nic, passed away 7 months ago aged 58. 

Our neighbour passed away one month earlier and today her family had her ashes interred at our village church. 

I thought I was doing ok, but it hit me like a sledgehammer and I lost it a bit afterwards as the place where ashes are interred is quite close to my partner's grave.  Been in tears ever since.  I've realised that putting a brave face on it doesn't work, but I'm no good at opening up to people. 

I have a very good friend who was there to support me but she's been so so good to me that I don't want to be a burden to her.

Oh dear, I guess I've got a way to go and have to accept that letting go in front of people is part of it, but it's just not me.  I just don't like feeling or looking vulnerable even though I know I very much am.

Apologies for going on.  I now realise today was positive in a way as it showed me that I'm really not so strong and resilient as I thought, and think, I am.

Anyhow, rubbish tv for a while now and then another day to get through when I wake up tomorrow.

I hope you are all coping as well as you can.

xx

• Hi there,

Thanks for sharing that. I think you already have a super attitude accepting that pain and sadness is hard to go through but that it also helps us, that there is a positive side to everything. We have to let the emotions flow, while keeping a goal of getting better. That's what I tell myself anyway!

I think that if you have a really good friend willing to be there for you, you can embrace that. I married my best friend so I lost both when she passed away a year ago. I've got other friends, but it's not the same.

Going back to the grief hitting you back like a sledgehammer, I think it's a constant on this forum. Grief is sneaky and never really goes away. We're getting better over time at living with it, but like you when it hits me hard in unsuspected ways, I try to think that this is a good thing, because it's all part of the process.

Take care xx