Finding ways to cope

• 4 replies
  • 27 subscribers

I have been working hard at finding ways to ease the pain when the rush of sadness comes in. As I've remarked in other threads, I have programmed myself to think of hysterically funny moments (of which there were many) so I can laugh out loud and send the misery away. For the past two days, I have been engaged in another occupation to help ease the grief. 

My husband was a terrific photographer. He had always loved photography, but it wasn't until 2006 that he was able to devote his time to it. And he was so good and, as the years went by, he really blossomed as an artist. His children and the whole family have always loved his photography. So, I found a website where you can create your own photo books. And that what I have done. I created a larger one for me and then another smaller book for his two kids and my brother-in-law and family. These will be Christmas presents. It made me fall in love with my husband all over again. And I laughed when I remembered our trips out and about and my having to take over driving because he simply couldn't keep his eyes on the road. He was far too busy scanning every horizon for the perfect shot. I remember him scrambling up hillsides and over streams, down on his belly to get a close-up of heather or bog cotton. On one of our first road trips, I slipped in some mud flat onto my belly, but I kept the old camera he had given me aloft, shouting, "Get the camera!" He laughed and said, "Now I know I love you!"

It's filling my head with memories and devoting time to capturing those memories as best I can. I finished the back cover of the book with a stunning black and white shot he did of our dining table and the large window that looked out on his favourite lilac tree and the loch beyond. I put below it, "His Favourite Spot." And yes, I cried a little. But I try so hard to remember that my life was so enriched by his presence. He brought me so much love and joy and gave me so much more. 

Thank you for reading. I don't know if this helps anyone else, but I hope you don't mind me sharing. Here's the link to the photo of his favourite spot...

/resized-image/__size/640x480/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/576/IMG_5F00_0421-copy.jpg

• Hi Martha,

Thank you for sharing. Beautiful photo and a lovely story.  

My husband died a couple months after yours in December 2018, so a similar timeframe. Although you never forget, I am grateful for the time I had with my husband.. I think this attitude helps you make the most of each day. 

I personally have found a creative output in writing and have contributed to the poem thread here in the past. I think capturing the memories as you have mentioned is a great idea. In fact anything creative is great. I personally want to start going to an art class. Dont know if I can paint though. lol. 

I don't come here that often but had a story myself to share. Your post and attitude resonated with me so much that I had to reply and, now have run out of time.  I will come back later and share my story. 

With lots of love,

Dutsie Xx

• Hi Dutsie,

I have definitely found writing to help. Before Chris died, I was a silversmith/jewellery designer. I've given that up. While I am still enjoying my writing, the other creativity just disappeared after he died. My designing work had been very much a team effort as he would accompany me to various events, and he was always the first to see a new piece. Like you, I want to take an art class, too. It's been years since I've done that and I've even amassed the supplies, but, still, it escapes me. I'm sure it will come back...

I hope you are well and living the best life you can. I try to remind myself that is what my husband would want for me and, no doubt what yours would want for you, too.

Martha xxx

"i carry your heart with me (i carry it in my heart) ..."
    Life must end, but love is eternal.

• Hi Martha,

Thanks for sharing, its a lovely story…… “a true love story” and a beautiful photo of “His Favourite spot” I totally get why he loved it.

I like your way of dealing with sad moments and as you say “working hard at finding ways to ease the pain when the rush of sadness comes in”. And to programme yourself to think of hysterically funny moments so you can laugh out loud and send the misery away, I think I’ll take that idea away with me and work on it, so thanks for sharing.

For me its only 5 months since my wife’s passing and I think of her nearly every single minute of each day and sometimes I feel like theres very little to look forward to in life without her.

But to help me get through the saddest moments, I turn to my “Handy Tool Box” and inside it is “Marie’s little Gem’s” which is what I named a file of her “one liners” which she came out with during her last days in the hospice, which was purely to help me once she passed away as she knew I would be lost without her, she truly was the most selfless person that I had ever met, let alone had the privilege of calling her my wife.

I do hope we all find peace one day. 

Take care and kind regards Ian x

• I have found writing always helpful. In the beginning, I wrote a letter to Paul every single evening telling him about my day and how much I missed him. Later, I wrote a blog here on the Macmillan side. From this blog enlarged a book last year. No I haven't written in a while but in courage everyone to try it.
    lots of love, Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds.