The terrible loss of my soulmate

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 25 subscribers

We had 36 years together, which ended after a 6 month fight with stage 4 cancer in March. My daughter and I miss her so much and the sense of loss does not ease.

I am sure with time I will learn to accept what has happened but right now life is just a bit foggy with no clear path ahead, all I see is the loss and terrible journey my daughter and I were part of.

Although it ended in tragedy we never gave up and fought as a very close family team right to the end, we all were super positive throughout the diagnosis and treatment and for us it was the right thing to do.

We are here for such a short time and losing someone so precious has brought that to my front door with a hammer blow.

I have been doing lots of DIY which has helped me get through each day and doing regular things that people do.

I visit my daughter when I can and we chat most days on the phone which helps both of us.

What a terrible disease, cancer can have devastating consequences for families, but there are also people who manage to get through their diagnosis and treatment so I suppose my wee message would be to never give up and keep on fighting.

• So true its like a tornado has came and disrupted your whole life i lost my darling husband over a year ago now everyday is a struggle but i keep fighting Heart for my children as they cant see me crumble x stay strong and remember the life before cancer

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kikko

Firstly I am so sorry for your loss, very difficult to move forwards but with family there is always support and hope for the future. My daughter and I were told by so many of our friends how brave and strong we were at the time and even now 3 months on. You find the strength from deep within because no one could do it for us, a forced position that we wish we never had to experience but life is moving on, slowly and carefully for us. Take care Kikko and thanks for reply.

• Hello Hillside,

I am so very sorry for your loss and glad you have found this group where we all understand because we have gone, and are still going, through a similar situation.

It sounds like you were a very strong team throughout this terrible journey with her cancer. And, you know, I think it is important for our loved ones that we are positive from diagnosis till the end - of course not everybody can do that and that's understandable - but, when we can do that, we are really great support for the ones who are receiving all the horrible treatments and have to go through all the side-effects and so on. So well done on being such a huge support!

And I am glad you and your daughter have such a close bond which no doubt will help you to cope with this situation.

Over time it will get easier but right now it's early days. You need to take good care of yourself and give yourself time to grieve this major loss.

Love, Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MelanieL

Thanks for your reply, like you I won’t be moving on just as you say, moving forwards, one step at a time.