Counselling

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Because I m having trouble coping I ve been signed off work til 14 June and doing some online counselling but feeling pressured from close family about returning to work as they feel it will do me good despite it only being just over a month since I lost my darling partner. I have told them I do not feel ready . I guess I m lucky I was furloughed all through his illness but now of course everything opened again work expecting me to go back when I feel ready . I m don’t feel I can face it and if I m honest really don’t want to go back ever . Don’t know what to do . I may need to ask for more but time but know family members won’t like that I just not ready 

• Hello there,

I think that when to go back to work is a decision that can ultimately only be made by you. And while I understand that your family may be concerned about you not working and might feel that it would do you good to go to work, I want to remind you that they are not you and that you are the one who has lost her partner. So take your time and do what's right for you.

However, what I do say is don't throw the job away right now. For many of us it is not advisable to make big decisions after the loss of a partner. Our general advice would be not to rush into things. So I would suggest: How about if you go back to work when you are ready and then you will feel whether it is still what you want to do or whether you really want to leave the job.

I was someone who needed to go back to work two weeks after Paul's death. I just needed work to keep me very busy so that I would keep distracting myself a little bit and at least for a little while each day from the pain of loss.

But everyone is different. What is right for some of us is not right for others at all. We have to listen to ourselves and do what is right for us.

Lots of love

Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Mel is right, it is your decision when to go back to work but I think I understand where your family are coming from too. Like you I spent a lot of time off work with Colin before he died 60 weeks ago today. I went back on short days, 5 hours (I did 3 x7.5 hour days normally) 7 weeks later and because of covid 's first lockdown the shop was not too busy with customers and other staff were furloughed so it was also quiet on that front as well, plus no hugs allowed!!!!! I have to say it was difficult and there were tears but sometimes you have to swap heads and face your fears head-on. I've been back a year now and don't exactly 'love it' but it has done me good to have to channel thoughts towards the demands of the general public (kind description, I have other names for them lol!!) I've stayed on 15 hours a week.

Maybe when 14 June comes round take a weeks 'holiday' from work then go back on phased return, short days. It will be hard but are braver than you think you are. xx

Tomorrow is another day
    Tomorrow is another day
    Tomorrow is another day
  • So true. We forget that. X

• You’re so right - all of you! I go back to work tomorrow after 2 months off - one to nurse my partner and one to walk through the aftermath. I’m not sure if I’m ready but this week is a quieter one and I’ll be doing mornings only. I’ll just try and see. The distraction, I feel will help me but I am working remotely and can organise my workload to suit - so I am lucky. Each of us just needs to do what is right for each of us and there’s no blueprint about what’s right - it’s just whatever helps. xx