The most vivid memories I’ve had up to now as I smelt her Perfume today!!

• 9 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Whilst cleaning the house today, I was in our bedroom cleaning the dressing room table and on the top stands a bottle of my wife’s perfume “Chanel Mademoiselle”, which has been there since I brought it home from the hospice on the day that she passed away (14th February). I had emptied the contents of her handbag and this bottle was in the bag and it now takes pride of place on the dressing room table. I have been resisting smelling it since the day she passed, but today I thought to myself, I need to smell her perfume and thats just what I did.

It was just like she was standing there in front of me once again and she’d sprayed the perfume on her neck, and of course I was just stealing a cheeky little kiss of her neck (which she hated by the way), and for a few brief moments it was just like she was standing there in front of me and the memories just flooded back but very vivid ones and it was simply a lovely moment, so I thought I’d share it with you lovely people and to also ask if you’ve experienced anything similar. Of course I continued to smell the contents of the bottle and the lovely memories just kept on coming. I hasten to add that the house took ages to clean but thats another story.

So I was wondering whether or not this was classified as “Normal behaviour” or am I just a bit weird which I think I am anyways. I suppose for people in our position theres no such thing as “Normal behaviour” these days is there?

I do hope we all find peace one day, Ian x

• I have smelled my wife's perfume while asleep in bed just seemed so real 

Ian
  • After losing my mum, I woke one night and smelt her perfume. 
    I certainly can understand the smell of your much loved wife’s perfume bringing back such wonderful memories. As for is it normal- who knows? There’s not much that feels normal about the situation we find ourselves in so I’d just enjoy the memories and sniff that bottle whenever you feel the need.

Virtual hugs

Jane

xx

• Hi Ian 

Thats a lovely story to hear and I’m so glad that you experienced that. I would say that’s totally normal! I think it very brave of you actually and I’m glad it was a good experience.

My husband wore various aftershaves which are actually, now I think about it, still in the bathroom (unless his son James took them) but I know I couldn’t go for a smell just now but maybe some time soon. 

I’m with you on finding peace again one day xx 

• Ian,

I totally get that and I sometimes go around the house thinking that shes nearby, as she just had a certain lovely smell about her and I think shes with me.

It may be just in my head but it definitely seems real to me.

Ian x

• Jane,

Thank you and I think you feel as I do, which is that theres “no normal” at this present moment in our lives and we’ve just got to do what we feel is right, and yes.....I think I’ll just keep sniffing away. If thats the worst thing that I’ll be doing well I think she’ll give me her blessing.

Virtual hugs to you too, Ian x

• Hi MyPineapple,

Thanks for your kind words.

I’ve struggled with most things to be honest, the Photographs which I can’t look at them and the lots of music just sets me off too, and so many other things but for some reason this was different and I can’t really explain why it was different but it was?

I do hope his aftershave is still in the bathroom and if you ever do decide you’re ready to smell it, then I do hope it brings you lovely memories too.

Yes, I really do hope we all find peace one day, Ian x

• Hi Ian,

Just wanted to tell you that although it's been over two years for me, I recently sprayed some of my husband's cologne on a T-shirt he used to sleep in. It was very comforting and made me feel as if I'd captured a little part of him. Have to confess that I even slept with it next to me on the bed. Who knows what's normal or not in grief.

• Hi Ian,

Just wanted to tell you that although it's been over two years for me, I recently sprayed some of my husband's cologne on a T-shirt he used to sleep in. It was very comforting and made me feel as if I'd captured a little part of him. Have to confess that I even slept with it next to me on the bed. Who knows what's normal or not in grief.

• Hi Limbo, 

Thats a really nice story and I totally understand your actions, our normal days (if there is such a thing btw) are long gone but I’d be happy with a semi normal life again (if there is such a thing).

I do hope we all find peace on day, Ian x