Nearly 2 years on

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi everyone, I've just re-joined the group after a long absence, I'd forgotten my details and then time passed....long story, but today out of the blue I had a friend request from MelanieL. I remember you Mel - I think your husband died of a very aggressive form of prostate cancer same as my John. Nearly 2 years on and I'm beginning to think it will never get better. Covid obviously didn't help, as I've been so lonely and isolated. I've just found my profile, which is still there, nothing much to add to it really! Some days are better than others but still have Samaritans on speed dial! Not sure why I haven't returned to it before. I am a member of another bereavement forum, but not very active in that one either. Hope to connect with new friends on this forum, look forward to hearing from you. Anne x

• Welcome back Anne,

My partner died 9 weeks 2 days ago of Sarcoma.

I am keeping busy, today so far is a good day.

A little laugh if allowed, somebody stopped me and said "i see you having ago at cutting grass" as I did most of the gardening last year after Rob got his diagnoses and he was in hospital for 12 weeks then end of life care. Who did she think been cutting grass? Or is it cos I a women?

Had a giggle and said nothing, thought this person knew me.

Oh well, sending best wishes to everyone too.

Love Donna x

• Hi Anne, I'm new to this site, well first one I've ever been on, I lost my husband 19 months ago, my pain dosent feel much easier,  every day is a struggle,  and loneliness is so hard, covid made things worse, I hope to connect and hopefully make some friends on here, everyone seems lovely,  sending hugs to you xx

• Hi Anne

Like you I have not been on in a long while and I got a message today reminding me that Macmillan are still hear. It's been just over a year for me since I lost my Rob, the anniversary was last Saturday. I have been lucky that I work in research science so I still get to go in and my colleagues have been very supportive and kept me sane this year, but I still do feel alone at times.

Today has been particularly bad, what with accumulating work pressures and emotions over Rob's anniversary, I did have a bit of a cry at work today unfortunately as reached my limit.

I have got through covid so far by turning into a crazy runner and trying to focus on the few positives I still have still in my life, like our cats, my family and friend etc. It is hard though with covid not going anywhere and the world just feels like it has gone mad with all the bad press at the moment over vaccines and scobbles with Europe etc. 

I just wanted to share to show you are not alone and to tell you to hold on there. Things must get better soon. 

Sending lots of love and support in these dark difficult days Heart

L️izzie

Lizzie
  • Hi Anne,

Welcome back, Anne. I tell you what happened: I had a look at the site - a proper look this time - because I wanted to see how I could connect to people and message them privately, and this was when I came across your profile, I think you had sent me a friend request I had never aproved because I hadn't known how, and so I aproved it last week and here we are.

Yes, I remember that it was similar for your John and my Paul.

I am glad you are back.

Love

Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Life has been really strange for me too. I came over to be with my parents for COVID-19 naively thinking that it would only take a couple of months and all would be back to normal. It was on 25th March 2020 when I arrived here. And one year later I am still here. There have always been lockdowns either here in Germany or back in Ireland and therefore I decided not to go back until both countries are in a little better position. I just couldn't face being on my own for this long! I really feel for those of us on here who have to do it! I was so afraid one year ago of the isolation that I came here, but little did I know that I would be here for this long. Anyway, it has been nice with my parents. We have been cocooning in my parent's apartment. The only people we see are my brother who lives half an hour drive away and my gran who lives half an hour away. I feel it is good to be here because first we lost my grand-dad in October and I was here for that and now my dad has been diagnosed with Parkinsons and my parents are pretty shocked and are slowly beginning to get used to the new reality, my dad already has a lot of symptoms. I have been busy workwise writing my book and setting up a course for newly bereaved people which I will be selling through my website shortly. I have also been doing a lot of self-development work, which is something I have always liked. I am drinking and eating slightly too much, but I think so many people have that problem at the moment and with being in lockdown and so restricted in their movements.

Lots of love

Mel

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MelanieL

Hi everyone, really good to hear from you all. I'm keeping busy as we approach the '2nd anniversary' (and my birthday, John died the day before). I finally decided to inter John's ashes in the local cemetery and we're having a little ceremony there in late July, by which time I hope that the family and friends who want to be there will be able to travel. I have agonised over what to do with John's ashes, there was nowhere obvious to scatter them here, as we moved up from London and hadn't been living here long when he died. But I hope perhaps this will be another small step in the moving forward process. The cemetery is a lovely peaceful place and has been on my regular walking route since the beginning of the first lockdown.

I am about to go to my son's for the weekend (we're in a support bubble), which will be a change of 4 walls! Wishing you all a peaceful Easter. For some I know your loss is much more recent than mine.

Love Anne