Another day...

• 15 replies
  • 31 subscribers

I’m still figuring the site out but thought I’d start a new thread if easier..

It was a week yesterday I lost my husband David. It still feels very odd calling him that seeing as we were married three days total before I became a widow.

My sparkling wedding band I’d always wanted to have and wondered how I’d feel sits twinkling away on my finger. Dave knew how much I love jewellery and how excited I’d be to have this and I always wanted to see Dave with a wedding band! My Dave!

I should be writing thank you notes to people after a wedding and enjoying changing my name etc, instead I’m calling the bank, car solution plans, pension services etc explaining he’s died and crying down the phone each time. I’m not sure my heart can take this.

Despite doing all that, continuing plans for his funeral on Friday I still deep down don’t believe it! He simply can’t be dead!!

There is so much pain on this site, as many say, a club none of us ever wanted to be a part of but we know this is the only place to really feel understood.

I’m literally just off the phone with my mum who isn’t too well herself after suffering vascular dementia. She called to ask how I am. I’m unbelievably sad that’s it. I thank her and all my family & friends I know they desperately want to help me. They simply can’t.

I know I’m asking too much to think the pain may ease when I’m only one week in and the funeral still to have but I honestly don’t know how I’ll continue after the funeral when I’ve less to do. I will still have paperwork to sort and I intend to change my name to a double barrel. I’d feel too odd, given the circumstances and my age to literally take only Dave’s surname so doing a double barrel with mine at the end seems right to me. Yet it will be painful doing all that too but I definitely want his name as well! Although I’m 49 and had relationships in the past I’ve never been married till now and don’t intend on ever marrying again. I need his name in there!

I just need to write something even though it’s all been said before.

I’m struggling. I didn’t know it was possible to feel this much pain & sadness.

I also struggle with how to think of him. Meaning if I sit and talk to him like he can hear me that hurts because I feel he’s somewhere listening, desperately wanting to be here with me too and can’t and I don’t want to think of him sad when I can’t be with him but then what’s the alternative? He’s just gone that’s it!? 
It’s all too much. 

• Evening everyone. So today I collected my beloveds ashes - the funeral staff rang and I shot over there  with the dog. I was  dressed in a T-shirt and holey  leggings with no bra or hair brushed and dog walking shoes on my feet. Gosh it felt good to hold him in my arms and bring him home. 
    On reflection his funeral was not as bad as I expected and apart from having a day under the duvet yesterday I’ve felt quite calm. I did the eulogy myself which shocked me but somehow I found the strength. 
    I’ve no real advice other than to agree with everyone else and that is to take each and every day as it comes and if a day seems too much break it down into hours. 
    I’m having a large gin and tonic now and why not? We all have to do whatever it takes to get through and if a drink, a scream, a walk or another drink then so be it. 
    I couldn’t do counselling as a volunteer but I used to do reading at a  local primary school and loved that so maybe that’s a way forward for those wanting to volunteer. 
    Sorry  about waffling but I just wanted to try and help and thank you all again for being there.

June x

• Thank you for sharing June.

I’m not looking forward to my Dave’s funeral on Friday but this helps. 
    Xx

• Hi My Pineapple,

I can fully empathize with every word you've written.

My darling wife Margaret passed away late July 2019 after 7 and a bit years of kidney cancer and I had been her full time carer for the last 7 years and took over the running of everything (while still including Marg in majors aspects to keep her involved in day to day living).

After her funeral and the time consuming but very necessary process of changing of account name, cancelling of accounts, etc., I suddenly found myself staring solitude in the face. During Marg's caring, I often felt lonely and alone (due mainly to Marg's narcotic load for pain management), but it was a different lonely after she passed and, although my sons, my daughters-in-law and my grandkids were all like a comfort blanket for my soul, I did not handle it well. I felt that I had no purpose and struggled to find joy in anything. Compounding this, Marg's mum, Dawn, passed away 3 months to the day that Marg did and then my mum also passed 3 months to the day after Dawn (I REALLY, REALLY hate the 23rd of every month).

The one saving grace in all this was the guidance and advice I had received during Marg's palliative stay. They ran a series of sessions focussing on the "what next" for the families and the carers. They focussed on the emotional and physical demands we would inevitably face but also placed great weight on the skills we had learnt whilst caring and how these skills could help going forward.

One of the most important things they taught was to look back at the period of caring and find the positives. Although I miss Marg every single day and my heart is still in pieces, I at least now know where the pieces are and will get around to putting them together over time. I take enormous pride in the care I gave Marg - she deserved nothing less. Caring changed me - it made me more focussed, far more organized, more diligent and far more patient. I know that Marg truly appreciated everything I did (even when I stuffed up) and I am content that I gave her my very best.

I really wish I could tell you that everything will be OK over time, but, in the same way that everybody's cancer journey is unique, every carer's post-cancer journey is different.

You will have bad days and you will have better days, but every day the sun will still rise, as will you.

There were 2 key things I took out of the palliative counselling sessions that I use as a daily guide;

1. When you're feeling down, just tell yourself "This too will pass - it may pass like a kidney stone - but it will pass".

2. Rather than trying to figure out how to live without them, focus on living your life with the love they left with you.

I truly hope you find some peace and comfort.

Peace,
    Ewen :-)

The day after your journey ends, the sun will still rise.
    As will you.
  • Ewen 

Thank you for that, for sharing. The people on here amaze me. 

Im realising with each passing day (and it’s very early days for me yet) but I know I’ll never be the same again. I don’t necessarily mean that in a bad way, it’s just the reality.

Things like this change you. I changed after my sister went through losing her husband 17 years ago and I feel myself changing again since David took his last breath. 

I’ve always been a caring person, big heart on my sleeve. Not blowing my own trumpet just being honest. These are words others used for me, I’d refer to myself as a wimp! My darling David always said I’m a sweet soul. 
    For some reason after we lost my brother in law and all the pain that caused I could only describe how I felt by saying that a layer of me was taken away and I become more vulnerable somehow. Yet the feelings of change I have now is the opposite like a suit of armour is starting to grow around me. Like I won’t get up set at the smallest of things anymore... 

This too shall pass I’ve often said and I know it to be true, just in this case it’s not going to pass for a long time. 
    During the start of covid first lockdown  I put up pegs on the fridge that had days of the week on them, and left small squares of paper and pen close by and made myself, Dave and his son James (who came to live with us last June after finishing Uni) write something we were grateful for every day! At Christmas Dave and I read over them and laughed at how many times I’d put...”David!” ...there were a few with my name too but not as many... he swore blind there were more and I’d just lost them! Rolling eyesJoy

Thank you for sharing Ewen and I hope I find peace one day too. 

xx

• Thank you, beautiful to read just what I needed. 

Donna