Denial

• 14 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi 

So second day back to work after neil passed away the first day was great word has got around that I didn't want anyone to bring up me losing my husband so when I whent in today I thought it would be the same but no 3 times throughout my shift had to come up to me on the shop floor to tell me how sorry they were to hear about neil  I understand they are trying to be nice but the last thing I want to do is cry in the middle of the shop 

i know that it is still early days ,sometimes it sill shocks me that it is only been 3 weeks tomorrow with so much that had to be done but I have worked out that my way of coping and being able to function normally is denial ,I think because things moved so quick less than 4 weeks from finding out he had cancer to him passing and the fact we both don't like funerals so he didnt have a service mixed with the fact that in the 20 years we were together neil either worked away part of the week as a removal man or worked night's as a milkman (I think that is how the marriage worked so well no fighting over the bed sheets )it has been easy for my brain to pretend that he is not gone and is just away in London and will be back soon I don't know how long I can get away with kidding myself but I don't feel as lost that is until someone points out to me about my loss i cry for 15 minutes or so then am back to pretending nothing is wrong 

Am I the only one that found this way of copping worked or is it bad for me 

Xx

• Hi Kate

You are not a lone, even though my husband had been retired for a few years,  for over thirty years he was a HGV driver.

He worked away abroad and in this country and was away a week at a time.

So after  the funeral was over i really thought he was away working, even though at times kept thinking he will be home soon been out a long while

It took me just over a year and one day it hit me i looked at his hat that he lay done last time he was here, and i just said Tom you are not coming home are you, it was like i had just accepted that he had gone, and since then i have felt a lot lighter i think i must have been in denial but did not realise.

It is still very early days for you one day at a time, and slowly they turn into weeks.

I never at the start of this journey did i think i would or could get this far, a year with out him i could and would not survive and i have passed that  one year and i have survived, but life is different in many ways.

Take Care Ellie xx

• Kate, you have gone back to work really soon after your devastating loss. I went back 7 weeks after Colin died but I'd been off for about 7 months before whilst he had chemo (pointless) radiotherapy (also pointless) then 1 more different chemo (guess what...pointless too) it was good to get a routine back and thanks to corona and social distancing no hugs were allowed. I did the same thing as you, cried a bit then put my work head on and got on with the general public moaning on!! Feckers!! (Anger)I think we all live in denial of what has happened to us for a long time.  It's really hard to accept our loved one isn't coming home anymore. You have got through your first couple of days and the first few people not ignoring your loss, there will be more- so be prepared for folk who don't even know you have lost Neil so quickly No mouth you will get by Kate, many of us have already xx
    Tomorrow is another day
  • Hi Kate

I went back to work after a week and then had 3 days off for his funeral.

I found it helped when people offered there condolences. Avoiding it was worse for me. Work also helped a d to be honest 11 months on I still.need to be busy..I can't allowyself to think..

That is my individual coping strategy. We are all different. 

I think you will start to get used to the changes, take one day at a time

Take care

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• Hi bootsyD 

Don't you just love the General public i think the manager's are just waiting for me to loose it with the first customer that decides to complain to me over something pointless think I it will be the only time i could get away with telling someone to f#*k off and I think the other staff that I work with are looking forward to me telling a customer if they don't like shopping in B&Q don't come here I think everyone that works with public have wanted to say what they think it just takes something really bad happening to you to for the chance that it could become a reality 

Kate xx

Tomorrow is another day
  • Having to wear a mask is quite ingenious really, I've mouthed f@#k off and pretty much all the swear words I know the covidiots out shopping for their 'essentials' Yum 

I guess your workies will keep a close eye on you and be aware of how you are. Just swap heads for work and home that was my way xx

Tomorrow is another day
  • Bootsy you really are a rebel!! 

If I have put the phone down more than once today and said WTF! Just had an 84 year old telling me his sexual preferences!!! OMG do I want to know!!! 

General public are bizarre!!! Lol

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• The dirty old fecker!!!! that's hilarious!!!  Have you got a 'secret' part time job with an 0898 number??? Joy 

I had a man asking for Royal Jelly products. Knowing we sell bubble bath and shower gel in that range duly went the relevant section, he said that wasn't it. Ok, do you have a picture on your phone of the said product? It's only a lubricant Laughing and Durex don't do that one!!!!  Good job I'm a woman of the World and not some blushing 16 year old Flushed

Tomorrow is another day
  • But what were his preferences?? Come on ffs..

"Sometimes life is hideous, other times it's worse!"

• Lying on his back and letting his partner do the work it seems! Lol. Mccmcc.

Honestly I couldn't believe it. I don't even think I have a sexy voice!!! 

Made me smile though

Alison xxx