HMRC and tax bills

• 11 replies
  • 33 subscribers

I have had tax bills for my partner due this month  and Jan. Probate still not come through. Does anyone know if they implement a fine which is taken from their estate if you dont pay up, or should I pay up and recoup as and when probate comes in. 

• Ooohhh Don't know about that 1 NellieJ !! Think you're going to have to sit on the phone for 3 hours to speak to someone. Colins Probate letters took about 5/6 weeks to come through. He died 5 April 2020 so at the end of the tax year, I don't know if I'll get any tax bill for him next year. I do have to to pay tax on my part-time 15 hour job @20% because his pension payouts are an income to me so have used up my tax free allowance for the year  Angry = pissed off face!!! 

put your question into Google - there's not much Google doesn't know lol!!

xxx

Tomorrow is another day
  • NelieJ I agree  with Bootsy  give the Revenue a call or preferably write to them and post it recorded.

You are not personally liable for any of your partners debts and therefore until probate is through and you have an estate value you shouldn't payout anything, just keep them informed.

Also there should be no fines or interest added to the bills they should have been frozen.

• Hi NellieJ  

You are not personally responsible for your partners tax bill. How can you be? If the tax people don't know  of your partners passing you might consider telling them  if you feel so inclined but to be honest I don't think that is even necessary. And if they wish to collect their tax  money then  they can claim off of his estate when probate is settled. 

Geoff x

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• The lovely tax office know of the date of dying, and even sent me some sort of rebate money about two months in - I bought the motorbike - and now seems want it back. Their letter implies that they charge interest on monies not paid.

Shame about probate - my partner managed to spend most of it and had a savings account for his boys and had cashed in a life insurance policy before death. Delayed because no one dated the will.   The limit when probate need to happen on the Coop Account is 30  K - he was £8. 73 pence over that so having to jump the hoops and I am paying a solicitor so all is very transparent with his children who seem to think I have lots more of his money that there is - he spent it all on them , I never took a penny off him. 

It seems to get a bit grubby around family and money. 

• Dear NellieJ 

Did the tax office send you the rebate in your name or in the name of your partner? If it was in your name I dont get it unless they've been told you are the executor of the will in which case you are responsible for the paying out  of  any money owed  from your partners estate which may include the tax rebate sent in error. 

Geoff x

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Thank you that is useful - think I may have pocketed and spent the money that was being given back to him, but seeing as we had separate bank accounts his was frozen  I think I may have put in mine and I went shopping......but I wlil check back through the paperwork. THe initial money back was in the early months and that is all rather hazy. 

• If you are stuck please DM me. Are you talking about self assessment income tax ? Or are you talking about probate.  Did he have an accountant ? 

Just missing him : Grief is the flip side of love. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

The HMRC have a separate bereavement department, talk to them rather the normal number. I had probate when my dad died, a year ago this week, and they were lovely. Really empathic, talked me through the easiest way to do what needed doing, quite possibly the nicest call of all the calls I had to make

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I agree - have had to do lots of tax stuff since my husband died in August 2019 - the dedicated bereavement line is much easier to deal with and generally very empathetic- assume they’ve had training - also probably concerned they may upset you more 

• Seems odd replying to myself, here goes!!

when the new tax year starts for 2021 does that mean the income from Colins pensions etc that were paid out in 2020 to me is at a cut-off point (if that makes sense?) and my wages from 6 April won't be taxed anymore? 

Tomorrow is another day