Ideas for Ashes

• 6 replies
  • 26 subscribers

I wanted to share this site, https://www.solacereef.co.uk/   My partners ashes were in a basics from the crematorium box and I have had a couple of friends who are artistic customise a scattering tube, this is much nicer and something that I can treasure after scattering.

The funeral people transferred him from the nasty box into the lovely tube, but he did not all fit. Having got my head around him now being in two containers, it meant I have been looking around for ideas.  He loved the sea and the solace reef project means he would be  part of the sea bed so I am considering it. 

• That sounds really nice! Our plan is to scatter my wife's ashes on the seaside near Aberystwyth but I love the idea of the reef.

Didn't know about scattering tube (so many new things, uh). We got an urn that we're going to keep in the garden until the scattering and maybe try and build a small shrine around it for now. But her parents got a small urn too, so she's been split as well.

My 15yo daughter was noting that they might have got only the coffin in theirs. My mother-in-law didn't laugh. 

• I scattered Ric a couple of weeks ago and a bit of his parents! Not sure which bits! I joked at the time it might be a leg of his mum.and arm of his dad! I thought it a bit strange to divide them up as his sister did! But then Ric would be happy they were with him. Both sets of ashes were given to me in a tube, I chose the design. It was sealed and had a perforated seal to break when you were ready. The undertaker did it. I guess he knew we were scattering. I also had a certificate to give me permission in case I was asked. It did make it easy and I guess it stops them blowing back at you being practcal (and don't wear sandals!).

I still have Ric's tube. I am not sure what to do with it and I still have a few ashes as I am not sure about jewellery. Ric's tube had bluebell wood on it. He lived nature. His parents were poppies.

It was paddlefish who told me about bath glass! I am seriously considering that garden orb. It is easily accessible to me to get to Bath too.

I did have a tiny tube ( about 5 inches long) for the garden with his dog tags and special necklace in it. I buried that. The tubes are biodegradable. 

I didn't pay for the tubes so speak to your undertakers

Love and hugs Alison xxx

• I’ll be locating Rebecca in a few places. She wants to be with her nan, so she’s not alone and she’ll also have some of her ashes at a natural burial site which has a plot that can take 4 interns so we can be together again when it’s our time. 
    If the kids wanted to be back with us in the future, then they have that option to split their ashes too if that’s what they wanted, I thought it nice option to be back together as a family, especially with their mum going too soon.

Finally she wanted to be scattered at St Ives, I think she wanted to punish me with a long car journey, as she knows I don’t like those.

We’ll also keep some back for jewellery options and her mum and dad will have some for their own private memorial.

She did know of all of this, so I hope it makes her happy, I so miss her already 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Tattoo

I can understand why Rebecca would want to be scattered at St Ives. It’s one of my husbands favourite places in Cornwall. 

I miss him so much too. Take care 

• St Ives is beautiful. There is nothing.like the sea. 

We didn't really have time to plan and discuss Ric's funeral, it all happened so fast. I knew how keen he was on his regiment and took him back to Bovington where he did his training and spent his teens with his parents. Scattered around one of his fav tanks. With a part of his parents. Just hope I got it right. I think.i have.

Alison xxx

• Of course you got it right Alison, you were able to do what you know Ric would have liked and that’s what matters. He’s somewhere he loved and you’ve done that for him.