Two years on nearly and it feels like I am in a void

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi

It is coming up to two years since my husband died.  It still seems unreal.  I feel like I am in a void.  nothing is real. I feel like I am surviving but life is meaningless.  I don't feel I can talk to anyone about it as it will just upset them that I feel like this, then I will end up having to make them feel ok about me.

I tried a counsellor who was good, but it didn't make me feel any better.  I just feel it is what it is, I can't bring Stephen back and I just feel lost without him.  Life sucks without him.

Life is dark.  I now find that I am becoming my mothers carer, this is sapping my life and I feel exhausted.  I don't feel have the energy to care for her, I cared for Stephen for a year and a half before he died.

Kay

• I hear you.

I was 2 years in January and still feel I'm just existing and going through the motions.

I'm so sorry that you now have your mother to look after. As selfish as it may seem you need to look after yourself. If it's too much for you then you should speak to her doctor about getting support.

Best wishes

Look to the moon.
    Can't imagine any future without my soulmate
  • I to am coming up to a year now empty inside just going through each day have booked the day off work to go with family to her memorial at the crematorium not tha agony of early days just a void that can never be filled hope everyone is as weii as can be 

Ian
  • I think it's normal, I too, although in the early stages of my grief (6 weeks) feel there is nothing worth doing, we talked about 'after Carla' and she told me about the things I like to do, but without her to share the experiences it seems there is very little point. I visited a city we both liked (Belluno) but with no one to share with it was pretty empty.

Also I think if you have cared for your special person without wanting reward or recognition as it is the thing we do for those we love.Once that 'usefulness' has gone we are suddenly lacking purpose.

My brother put it very succinctly, he said "You're the type of guy who need to look out for others, you don't want others to lookout for you"

This I feel this is where grief affects some of us worse than others..

"Sometimes life is hideous, other times it's worse!"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Wildcat

Thanks for your reply Wildcat it is good to hear others are feeling similar. I do feel like I am going through the motions but not really living.

With my mum I think when things get better with Coronarvirus I will try and get her a carer to come in a couple of times a week, as I think that will be a support.

Life will never be the same, he was the love of my life and I miss him so much.

Kay x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Newb

The anniversary of our love ones death is hard. Last year we went to Cambridge Botanical Gardens as it was one of his favourite places. This year I think I will go for a walk in one of the places he found just before he was ill. 
    It won’t be easy. It hard to think of life without them.
    Kay x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to mccmcc

I think your brother hit it on the nail.  
    I too am the sort that looks out for others and I don't want others to lookout for me.  
    I can’t cope with my feelings, if I then have to cope with how someone else feels because I have told them that I am not in a good place. It is like overload.

thanks for your reply it resonated with me.

Kay x