Newly widowed, feeling numb, what does the future hold?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Just joined the group lost my wife, soulmate and lifelong friend in July. We had been married for 46 years, together for 50 years and known each other for 53 years, basically most of our lives, and we shared everything and were very reliant on each other.

It was a great shock back in February this year when she had a sudden heart attack and stroke, which after a week in hospital much to my relief she got over slowly. Sadly her new medication gave her abdominal pain, and following an ultrasound she was referred for a CT. The life shattering news came two weeks later Terminal Cancer inoperable, we were advised that Chemo for this type of cancer was largely ineffective, and may only give a short extra time. This was towards the end of April.

We decided to live life as best we could and set off on several holidays, I took on the task of nurse and did everything for her managed her medication, and eventually when she could only continue in a wheel chair, took her everywhere I could in that.

The first month was almost normal we went to the Mediterranean and further afield having as near normal as possible time and making some great memories together. We had a short time at home and then went back to the Mediterranean, where she slowly became weaker but still managed trips out meals and whatever else we could manage. Her last week, she had  lost weight and muscle tone and had odeama in the ankles. We flew home and she died in her own bed with her children around her.

I don't know how I feel, broken, lonely, missing her every day, crying alot, music and certain things remind me of her, some are ok some I can't cope with and end up sobbing.

I don't work now so no trauma of going back to work, I feel blessed to have 4 adult children who despite their own grief rally round and we try to support each other.

How do I get by? I've taken to being very busy. My wife loved the garden and I try to keep it as she made it. House the same I try to keep it as it was, not sure if this is normal but I hear her voice telling me in my head when something's not right, I also talk to her and yes I know she's not there. I've got pictures one of our wedding day and one from last year, I often talk to them too. My biggest saviors are our three grandsons all under 10, grannys boys, they have helped me so much, I took 2 out to bowling, and pitza, had a great night. The youngest misses granny as much as I do but we've formed a bond and he often stays over an our house. We look after each other, and he's such a comfort and I think of them all as her legacy.

I try to be normal most days I can visit friends or just get on with gardening, shopping, jobs, housework but I have an emptiness I can't fill and I probably never will. I read some comments on here from people who have not got over it years later. Luckily I can talk about the whole experience. Sometimes emotion wells up and I break down but I don't find that odd.

Having nursed her for three and a half months on my own, I was in denial the whole way through her illness, but many people told me since that I put out such a positive hopeful aura that it helped her be positive we both hoped for a remission but in my head I think I knew it would not come.

I'm not in denial anymore, I know she's gone I know she's not coming back, I just feel so broken having spent a lifetime hardly ever apart.  Sometimes I learn something and my only thought is I must tell her, sometimes I'm outside and I think oh she's in the house, does anyone else get that it happens quite often?

The funeral for me was hard, it brought it home, my children at least 3 of them, only seem to have seen it as final and definite after her ashes were placed in the garden of remembrance. My youngest son rarely talks about it, he won't speak with friends or workmates, he will engage with me sometimes.

Sorry for the long rant, I'm feeling down today and have very wet eyes, just needed to share.

It's not quite 3 months, but it sometimes feels longer. Pancreatic cancer the silent killer, no early diagnosis, no cure, no hope.

Softly the leaves of memories fall gently we gather and treasurer them all. +

• Hi Glostp

I too lost my beloved wife Anne of 50yrs to pancreatic cancer just over 3 months ago. It's a hard and lonely path we tread on this site and everybody seems to feel the same pain and dispair. Like you I have good family support which helps a great deal but the lonelyness of a house which no longer has any soul is something that nobody can help with. And once again like your good self I no longer work as I'm retired. In some ways that can drag the days out as I don't always feel motivated to find things to do. We knew well in advance that Anne had limited time - 6 to 12 months the hospital doctor said as Anne refused any treatment. The operation called the Whipple procedure is major surgery and Anne said at 71 should just couldn't undergo that plus the follow up chemo which nearly killed her 20yrs ago when she had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer whilst suffering from Lupus a non curable immune system disease. Anne survived 14 months as she was a fighter. I have no words of advice to give you my friend. Like everyone on our site we all cope somehow in our own way. I still talk to Anne's photo and can often hear her voice in my head telling me things she would have done if she were alive. I know its my imagination but its comforting just the same. Stay safe and keep posting. I find that helps a lot specially when I'm feeling down.

Loveland Light.

Geoff

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• Hi Glostp , first of alllet me say how sorry I am for your loss. , it is a hard thing to understand let alone believe it has actually happened. My wife best friend and soulmate passed away on 15 July, she had melanoma for two years she had a couple of operations and radio therapy which seemed to hold it for awhile, but came back in the lymph nodes. She started a course of immunotherapy but had already spread to the brain. We were lucky in one way ( if you can call it lucky ) that she was only bed ridden for the last two weeks and was in no pain whatsoever . She died in her own bed at home with me by her side. 

We had been married for 43 years and together for 44. Like you I have 3 adult sons who have all been a great help and support to me 

I also keep the house and garden the same way Winnie wanted it but the house will never be the same. It is now empty, soulless and very very quiet. I am also retired and live in Southern Ireland, my wife is Irish we moved back there after we retired. For the 43 years we were never apart no w it is all so different. I put a brave face on when out , but cry a lot at home , or in the car on my own. Like a lot on here I dread the lonely future ahead. 

Stay with us here we all try to help each other. 

Mike 

Love you always Winnie xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Geoff999

Geoff

Thank you for your reply, I wasn't sure about joining this group but reading your reply and reading others stories, it seems many feel as I do.

I'm glad you get the voice, and that you also talk to pictures, it seems that this may be normal if there is such a thing for people in our position.

Like many people on here the loneliness the silence, knowing you will never see the person you shared every moment with, it's truly overwhelming and on bad days seems unbearable. Interesting some people mention guilt, I've had that, should I have seen it sooner, were there signs I missed, but 9 months ago life seemed so normal.

The diagnosis when it came I can't really describe it, that churning feeling in the put of your stomach, feeling very sick, then having to tell the family, terrible time. Just wasn't expecting cancer but to be told it's terminal on day one, devastating.

I kind of feel that I'm existing but life has lost its meaning, it's purpose and certainly any joy. As I said keeping busy making myself do things when it's easier to just give up seem to help. Many say on here that it hits you and it seems at all different times, I'm dreading Christmas new year, birthdays, anniversaries, I don't have any idea how those days will go. Many have told me to move on, right now I don't want to I just want to remember her as things were, I've not changed hardly anything in the house, and the thought of getting rid of her clothes upsets me.i know at some point I will have to have a sort out, but not today.

Coping, keep busy if you have the physical and mental strength, I've joined a club and started a hobby I've not done for over 40 years, find it helps having social interaction, I believe we all need social interaction. Keep your family close, remember they feel the same things, but have their own families for support. I get some strength and comfort from knowing, whilst I nursed her through it, she had little pain until the last two days, I took her everywhere, no matter how hard we did it, sitting on s beach only a week before she died, watching a beautiful sunset, these are the things I remember and it helps me to think, I did everything possible, during those difficult times.

Like others I miss holding hands, shopping together, cooking together, a hug, a smile, playing games or simply sitting together watching TV. She also helped with DIY, painting and holding the ladder, I probably won't be able to do so many things without her.

I did read several people, could not go on holiday to places they shared, I'm currently on holiday where we spent her last month, I too thought I couldn't go there but there are happy memories, as well as things that make me sad, I'm finding you can do things you think you can't. I don't want to go to places we planned to go together, it just doesn't feel right to go without her. I cancelled a cruise we booked as I just don't want that on my own.

So many people mention soulmate, that's how I feel, we met when she was 14, became a couple at 17, married at 21, we've known each other for so long, it's hard to remember not being with her, and we did everything together, like most of you out there, this is what makes it so hard, how do you fill your empty life? You can't replace that which is irreplaceable.

I've been to grief counseling once, a 1 to1 lasted two hours, it was something I put off, but it was reasurring in a strange way, you get to talk to a stranger, and you find everything your going through is normal, your not alone, your not going mad although there are days it feels like that. At this moment 3 months on, I can't see a way through the loss, the loneliness, living in a house that has lost its love, the though of never seeing my daily life partner, daunting doesn't cover it adequately.

My reply although to Geoff covers other things I've read that have provoked me to think about it and maybe that's why the group is good, and I feel I can just vent my thoughts, and as someone else posted hope the spellings ok as looking through wet eyes, I relate to that.

Take care all, thanks for messages.

Gary.

My love to Amanda, I miss you more than you can know. I've loved you all my life and I love you still. Till we meet again my one true love.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to winmick

Hi Mike,

Thanks for you reply, I've just written an epic post to Geoff, so I'll be brief.

It seems you also share pretty much what I'm feeling, and keep things as I do. Read my other post although to Geoff lots of stuff about me and Amanda, and some general thoughts having read through otgers story's.

Cancer is so awful, I can't believe how many people have it or have died from it, until it happened I thought we had it on the run and treatments were getting better. Since Amanda died, I've has so many friend's tell me they lost a loved one, strikingly so many to Pancreatic which has only a 3â„… survival rate and is almost impossible to diagnose early enough to fix it. Once cancer has touched your life it becomes a stark truth that there is so much of it out there. My beloved Amanda meant everything to me and we hoped to grow old together, she led a most healthy life ate all the right stuff didn't smoke, so the question each of us have asked why her?  A friend lost her husband to prostate cancer, she said for years she resented seeing couples together, that was her reaction to loss. I don't resent them. But I do think how lucky they are to still be together.

Sorry I do go on once I start. Enough for today

Keep safe Mike.

Gary

It goes without saying condolences to each and every one of you on this forum.