First Anniversary

• 12 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hello everyone,

In the days leading up to Paul's anniversary, I felt quite nervous and all over the place. I didn't know what to expect from the day or what I should do with it. But Now I would like to share the experience of the day with you.

Yesterday morning, I decided that, instead of allowing my thoughts to wander back to the time last year, I would spend the day quietly remembering the man Paul was: the beautiful person he was, his gentleness, his kindness, his open-heartedness, his love for life, his love for beauty, his love for fun, his fantastic sense of humour, his playfulness, his ability to become one with the people and situations around him, his creative mind and ability to find practical solutions to many problems of daily life (such as to make a camera stand out of bananas), his courage, his resilience, his interest in so many different things and particularly science, his talent to write, his talent to draw, his talent to learn new languages, his constant feeling that he was not good enough, his occasional wish to be left alone to come home to himself, his occasional grumpiness... remembering that all those things, and many more, made Paul who he was.

In the morning, I listened to some audio recordings of happy times we had. Listening to the recordings and to our happy times made me cry and long for my man so much.

At lunchtime, my friend Maureen came and we went for a long walk in Paul's and my favorite park nearby where we spent so many happy days together; and I told Maureen about those happy days.

In the afternoon, I was at home again. I sat outside in the sun for a while, something Paul used to like a lot, remembering him and our time together in this house. 

In the evening, I had phone calls from my parents, from my brother and from my friend Katharina from Germany. In all those conversations, we spoke mostly about the man Paul was and recalled happy times together.

Only at 8.10PM, which was the time when he had stopped breathing last year, I sat down beside his ashes and thought of him in the hospital in those last moments of his life. I had wanted to tell him that I was okay, that I was safe but that I missed him every single day... But all I could do was sob and tell him how much I missed him and our beautiful life together and how sad it was that his cancer had taken him so early, him who was such a special person to everyone.

I definitely drank to much gin and tonic after that while again on the phone to my friend Katharina.

When I went to bed at 11PM, I was very weak and shaky and I ended up having to ghrow up - all signs of pure exhaustion from the day and from remembering so many things and talking to people about Paul so much.

I think it was really good that I had so many tears yesterday. I often feel that I don't cry enough. I seem to keep myself in check, seem to keep extremely busy and not stop enough or pause enough to let memories and tears come to the surface. Somehow I am afraid that I could lose control of the situation and be in tears all the time, unable to get anything done, unable to eat. I think now in this second year I may take up counselling, even for a little while.

I also want to try to, instead of talking about my grief all the time, talk about the person Paul was, the life we had together, what the qualities were in him that I miss the most. I think there is some truth in this when we say that the people we have lost live on through our memories.

I don't know how I got through this first year, and it doesn't even feel like a year, time has become very unimportant for me. All I know is that I have made it to this point with the help of family, friends, the friends of this beautiful group, the holidays I went on my work and my campaign to bring Reiki into hospitals.

This morning, I don't feel good. I feel quite low and weak. This morning I saw a neighbour and chatted with her for a while and she said that I did not look good and in fact looked like last year after Paul's death. Well, I suppose that's understandable because I didn't eat much yesterday, I drank too much last night, and I think I am physically and emotionally quite drained.

I am glad that it's back to work today and back to my new "normal". There is some comfort in that. 

Love and hugs to everyone, Mel.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Mel, I have just read what you have wrote,What beautiful words it brought tears to my eyes,I think your husband  Paul would be so proud of you how you handled the day,You are right about time, each day just goes by l think I am on auto pilot most days,but family are a great comfort.Hope your feeling better and had something to eat,I’m not very  good with words so hopefully I have wrote it ok....sending my best wishes to you..Val

•  You write so eloquently Mel, putting things into words that are very hard to express but I think we can all relate to what you say. It's quite a watershed to get to one year. I hope your new 'normal' will indeed bring you some comfort. Virtual hugs to you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Mel and Val

I'm so pleased you were able to share time with friends and family. That you could recall so many varied memories and go through your emotions. Our normal now seems so strange compared to such a short time before. I hope your day today has been a "good" one. Val I think it's not always the words and Mel writes so brilliantly but that you show support and care. Best wishes to you both xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Mel and Val

I'm so pleased you were able to share time with friends and family. That you could recall so many varied memories and go through your emotions. Our normal now seems so strange compared to such a short time before. I hope your day today has been a "good" one. Val I think it's not always the words and Mel writes so brilliantly but that you show support and care. Best wishes to you both xxx

• Ah Mel, was wondering how you had been getting on. Such a truly difficult day, no wonder you feel wrung out today. 

I am glad that you were able to have quiet reflective time & also contact with friends & your family, it would be so easy to just shut yourself away. Your Paul was a very special person, I’m so glad you are able to remember the happier times now too. 

Take care of you now, I’m so glad you’ve got through it 

Sarah xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi Mel I have just read your post and it was a lovely way for you to spend the first anniversary. I had my first anniversary yesterday me and my children visited Gers grave then went to mass and like last year had a lot of family back at the house. I held back the tears because i.wanted to be.strong for.my children.( they are really) grown.up.adults., and like you i had one too.many.last night. But.im sitting here today on my own feeling as bad as last year but able to let the tears flow just wondering where that year went and.where.my Ger went.and.wishing with.all.my heart i could have.both.back. Some people think sure.a year has past you should be.getting.over it and i know some.people feel not.so bad and thats fine others take longer which is fine.as well.and i think I'm one of the ones it will take forever.

• Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for your post. When is the first anniversary for you? And have you decided on what to do on the day? Maybe it will be like it was for me, that you don't know what to do until the day is actually here.

Love and hugs

Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi Val,

Thank you so much for your post. It was lovely to read your words.

As the day went on, I started feeling a little better. But since Thursday, I have been feeling very different to before, very exhausted physically and sometimes almost sick, or as if I was coming down with something, I think this is the way the stress in anticipation of the anniversary and the day itself comes out now.

Love and hugs

Mel.

I don't like the term "moving on" because it sounds to me like we are leaving our loved ones and the life we had with them behind. I like the term "moving forward" as it implies that, while life goes on, our loved ones are still with us in our hearts and minds. 

• Hi NovemberGirl,

Thank you for your lovely and kind words. It is good to know that so many people here can relate to my experience.

Love, Mel.

• Yes, I know what you are saying. Once the anniversary is over, everything goes back to the "new normal" and yet something is different isn't it? I am glad you were able to spend the time with your kids and, yes, the alcohol, I think we have to forgive ourselves for that, we just sometimes need it to get us through, particularly when the day is so emotional.

Love and hugs, Mel.