My Dad passed 2 weeks ago

• 2 replies
  • 16 subscribers

My Dad Dave (well technically stepdad but he is my dad in my eyes) passed away 2 weeks ago from stage 4 prostate cancer that had quickly spread to the rest of his body. I just can’t help but think about how much I want just one more hug from him or just hearing his voice one more time. There’s so many things that I had already thought about, like everyone does you do sort of plan out how your life will go. I always imagined Dave to be there until he was old, to be able to walk me down the aisle, to meet his grandkids and to just be there for every major milestone. It makes me so angry thinking about how he has passed away at the young age of 47 and had suffered so much but there’s horrible people out there who are absolutely fine. It’s not right to think that way but I just can’t help but think of how fucking unfair it is, this is a man who stepped up and took us as his own and made so many sacrifices for us, yet this is what he gets? A painful death from cancer? My 10 year old brother is now left without a dad and it just breaks my heart to know he won’t have Dave there to comfort him before his exams, discuss his emotions or just generally be there to have a laugh with like what I had with him.My mum is now left alone without the love of her life, grieving and now having to raise a 10 year old by herself. I just can’t make sense of it at all and it just keeps coming in waves, it’s like I forget he has passed for a moment and then it hits me again and it’s like finding out he passed for the first time all over again. I don’t think much of this makes sense, I just need to let these feelings and words out. There’s only so much I can repeat to my family and friends without putting too much on them. I’ve been rereading all our old texts and going through pictures, I’ve decided to make a scrapbook of those screenshots and memories so that whenever I miss him I can go through it. I was also thinking of starting a journal as if I’m writing to him to help me cope a bit. I’m a primary school teacher who luckily most days I’m extremely busy and I get a distraction from it all but I know that I can’t avoid it forever and I need to manage it. His funeral is in a few days, I would appreciate if anyone has any tips on how to manage my grief? Anything that anyone had found helped them? Thanks. 

• I am really sorry to hear this. I lost my dad just over a year ago and he was 59. I had a 10 month old boy and was getting ready to return to work as a teacher after my maternity. I thought being busy/noise would help but it means I don't like being alone with my thoughts, I need podcasts to sleep. Fortunately I accessed counselling through education support as my school is part of this. Maybe look and see if you are? Something that helped me though was a poem about welcoming grief in and inviting her to sit at your table, don't be afraid of grief, because if there is grief, then love came first. 

• Hi LMA! 

So sorry for your loss. I lost my husband to bowel cancer last June (2023) so I am only weeks away until the first anniversary of his passing. Like you there is so much that has happened within this last year he hasn't been here to see and and things still to happen that he won't see either. My son gets married in February next year and he will not see that and he only got to see the first two years of our little granddaughter's life when he longed so much to become a grandad. Little incidentals happen here and there and I just wish I could turn round and ask him what he thought of that but he's not here for me to do that. We were more or less married for 40 years and to begin trying to navigate life by yourself when you have had someone at your side all those years can be hard. Jay my husband worked solid for 50 odd years with hardly a sick day off you hear of people working to live he lived to work just like his dad before him he was a bit of a `workaholic`. He eventually retired in 2019 and it was just after that his illness became prominent and he just never got to enjoy his retirement because it became an everyday ocurrence with hospitals, doctors, oncologists clinics etc. He went from hardly being in a GP surgery or hospital to it more or less become a weekly or daily occurrence. He did go into remission at one point when the surgical team told him they had got rid of all his cancer but only months later it came back and wasn't leaving without him a second time. Several bouts of sepsis and the advancing cancer finally took it's toll on him and he passed on the 23rd June 2023. Grief affect people differently as you may well know. For me, I have been unable to cry for Jay when he was going through his treatment I thought I wouldn't stop but since he passed it just doesn't happen. Just two months after he passed, my older sister got a bowel cancer diagnosis and it was so uncanny that the surgical team looking after Jay looked after her too. She is fine though and her diagnosis was not as extensive as his and she went in and got her tumour cut out last October which we were told was quite small and it didn't require her to have any chemo or radiotherapy treatment. She is making a good recovery and will just need regular check ups at hospital. My son's future mother-in-law just passed away last month also from cancer so it's been quite a year. When you get time, if you haven't done so maybe try some counselling. MacMillan do it here and I got 6 free sessions with Marie Curie by telephone arranged through MacMillan. It helps to have someone phone you maybe just once a week to check in on how you are. I have reached out to other sources too. I have contacted the website CALM and the text service SHOUT I was very desperate last year when my husband was going through his treatment. I was told that the inability to cry for Jay was quite a normal reaction and this can happen sometimes. I just think if I get that one big outburst I will feel better. I am hoping it still happens but when I don't know. I wish you well going forward. Take Care. 

Vicky x