Grieving for Mum

• 5 replies
  • 17 subscribers

My lovely Mum died last September and I don't think I've posted on this forum since. I was a bit of a mess at the time and was lucky enough to find some support at our local hospice with a bereavement counsellor. It did help me enormously, mainly to sit with my feelings and to be comfortable with questions being unanswered. 

More recently, I've felt unsettled about the emptiness and feeling like I'm just going through the motions. Like breathing in and out is just a motion I have to try to work at to do. 

Sometimes I write my thoughts down in the form of a journal and I just did that and wanted to share it. I'm not sure why, maybe to get some kind of validation that I'm normal. 

Some of it was sparked by things that friends had said to me. A friend the other day was asking me for bereavement recommendations for a friend of hers, saying she needs to work through the grieving process and stages because she needs to understand the set stages and when you move onto the next one. But it's not that simple. And that sparked these thoughts. 

Grief is not linear, neither is it a process. A 'process' is something that has a destination or an end point. Grief doesn't have either, you just learn to live differently. 

Sometimes I'm ok, sometimes I'm not. Sometimes I long for more recent good memories of Mum. Or for better memories to be at the forefront of my mind, 

I look at pictures and don't remember much about the time they were taken - what was I feeling? What was I thinking? Was I taking it all for granted? Was I feeling the love and warmth that comes across from her?

What would she be like now? What was she like before she had cancer? Was she as complex as I thought or was that just a layer? A thick layer that I never chipped away. Or did I? But my head and my heart is filled with so much sadness that I can't remember. 

I still can't believe she's not here. 

I think people expect me to be at X point in the grieving 'process' but I don't think it works like that, not for me anyway. Maybe it's too soon. All I know is I don't like moving further away from that day I last saw her, spoke to her, touched her. The last day we both said 'I love you'. I'd like time to stand still in the hope that moving forwards will eventually be easier when it starts again. 

Another friend was quite dismissive at the time of Mum's death - she said everyone has parents that they lose, as if to say my grief wasn't unique, that what I was going through is the same as everyone else. But it isn't. The relationship and connection I had with my Mum is totally different to the next person. 

But I get up everyday and if I'm going out, put the mask on to hide my inner most feelings and thoughts for the rest of the world, so they don't have to feel my pain. It almost feels like I'm doing a disservice to her memory, covering it up like that and grieving alone. 

I just wish I could reach out to her and ask for her help in navigating this. 

• Bless you Nikita, 

Yes you are so right there is no right or wrong way to grieve for someone and a lot of people who have never experienced it just don't `get it`. Hands up! I used to be exactly like that until I experienced it first hand. I am only weeks away from my husband's first anniversary of his passing on the 23rd June last year (2023). Some think it's like having a cold or flu and you get over it eventually but that is just not true. People grieve in different ways some people never settle with it and some learn to live with it. Yes I have put the mask on as well going out in public. People ask how you are and I just tell them that I am still `adjusting` which I am. It's hard to navigate life on your own after having someone at your side for 40 years. You do your best to keep `busy` and `occupied` but the empty feeling is always there. There are things that have happened I wish he were here to see and that makes me really sad. He fought his bowel cancer for almost 2 years and at one time went into remission when they told him they got all his tumour out but only months later it came back and wasn't leaving without him a second time. 

Some days I still wonder what I am getting up for and some days I wake up and still can't believe I've slept in this big bed on my own. I have a little dog though who needs to be walked so he is one reason I need to get up in the morning. He was my husband's dog and with the permission of the nursing staff they were allowing me to take him into the hospital to let my husband see him before he passed as he was missing him but unfortunately he passed before this could happen. He wanted to pass away at home but in the end after several bouts of sepsis he was just too weak and had to go back into hospital and that is where he passed in the end. Just to let you know that what you are going through is normal and please come on here often because the `journey` we are all on is the same and we all `get it` here what you are going through. Take Care and my best wishes to you moving forward. 

Vicky x

• Oh Vicky, I'm so sorry about your husband. I see the pain that my Dad goes through every day and I just can't imagine how that must feel. It's bad enough losing a family member you have a deep personal connection with, but someone that you share every moment with, I just can't comprehend that. 

In the early days of losing Mum, I became more aware and scared of my Dad and my husband dying. Although there are friends and distant family members, they're not close and I wouldn't turn to any of them for help. 

Thank you for replying to my waffle. It's comforting to know that I can post things here and it makes sense to someone else. 

x

• `Waffle` away all you like Nikita, This is what these forums are for and as I said there will always be someone on here who can relate to what you are going through come on and vent, scream and shout etc when you need to. Take Care. 

Vicky xx

• Hello Nikita, 

So sorry for the loss of your mum. I have not been on here for a while, but came on tonight and saw your post. 
    My beautiful mum passed away last September tomorrow it will be nine months since I was last able to cuddle her. I miss her so so much. Grief I have found really is like waves. It is so consuming at times. I get up and function in life but it is lonely without her. Reading your post just resonated so much. 
    I don’t feel like I will ever get over her not being here. We knew she was terminal but I don’t think I even allowed myself to think what that actually meant. 
    so many emotions, guilt, frustration, angry, sadness. 

I feel really overwhelmed at the thought of her never being in my life. I talk to her everyday but it’s not the same and sometimes I just desperately need a cuddle off my mum. 
    I do get what you mean when you say you just want to reach out. The pain is nothing like I could ever have imagined. 
    You hear it does get easier, you learn to live with it but I also worry that I don’t want to leave her behind. Grief for me is so desperate. I try and be positive and focus on the memories and our love and the fact she was not in pain. But the final 36 hours were quite traumatic. I find myself still frustrated by the lack of information we were given about dying. It’s hard to ask questions when you don’t know, what you don’t know! 

Sending you a hug x

• Sending love and strength to you all....grief is unique to everyone of us..there are stages but you don't work through one&then move on to the next....if only! You can swing from several in a day.....I've shared this several times....but I do find it comforting. Xx