Struggling to cope with dads passing

• 2 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hello all

I am not too sure what I am looking for writing on here. Maybe it is just a way to get it all out, but I would be grateful for any support. 

My dad was diagnosed with mandible cancer 4 years ago and battled so courageously for 3 and a half years. He had 2 major operations, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and immunotherapy. We was told during his treatment the cancer was terminal but it was something none of us accepted. I’m sure it was denial, a way to protect ourselves, but myself and my family truly believed dad would beat it, that a miracle would happen. He was SO brave, such a fun, loving, caring man whose positivity didn’t waiver once, which I think also made us cling on to hope. 

Dad’s lungs were starting to be impacted by the immunotherapy which eventually was stopped. He was struggling there’s no doubt, but he was still just dad. I saw him on a Wednesday, he was laughing, joking as always. That night he was struggling to breathe so was admitted to hospital. All of our family were with dad on the Thursday, he was on top form, joking with the nurses and being his cheeky self. That day, was the first day anyone had spoken to us about how long dad had left and they said days. We couldn’t and wouldn’t believe it. How could they say the strongest, bravest, most incredible person only had days to live. The next day, dad passed away. We was all with him, thanking him for everything he did for us all, for being the best dad and husband and that we was so proud of him and love him more than anything. 

It has been 7 months since dad passed, and it’s getting harder. I still can’t accept it and feel I am entering into a stage where I am getting annoyed at anyone trying to offer comfort. I am struggling at work, I am so worried about my mum and feel guilty any time I do something without her. My dad was only 65, I was 32. I am not married and don’t have children. Losing dad has made me question if I want those things now. It has made me question what the point in all of this is. If something like that can happen to dad, none of us are safe. A lot of people are lucky enough to think their dad is the best, I have no doubt mine was on another level. 

Does it get easier? How do you cope? I have tried therapy but I still think it’s too soon. I would give anything in the world to have him back. It seems like a very long life to have without him

xx

• Cancer is one of a hell of a shock for  everyone and everybody has a  different cancer journey your emotions are all over the place there no doubt about it you are still numb from  shock of losing your beloved dad and all raw emotions are bubbling to the surface and now you’re grieving   We all go into denial mode it will take time but counselling is an option ring the cancer helpline if you are struggling and they will point you where you can get further help thinking of you and try and think of all the good times you had  with  dad he will always be in your heart take care

• Hi there, I’m so sorry for the loss of your Dad. I completely sympathise with you, I’m snapping at my partner and really struggle when people say but ‘she’s with you’, it seems to final, I saw her take her last breath whilst holding her hand to then just be put in the back of a hurse. Then now to be sorting through her things, it seems so final. We were more fortunate than you, we were giving a year, and she sadly only lasted 6 months. We had Christmas together, spoke to her on the phone on New Year’s Day then by the end of the week she was unresponsive. I definitely feel the same - what’s it all about? Worked her whole life to save for her retirement and going through all her things that she worked so tirelessly for - for what? It seems so unfair. I 
    Unconsciously think of her, go to call her for a coffee or when I’m driving I’ll go to catch up. And in those miniscule seconds all is fine, the world as I know it is all fine/back to normal. Everyone says time is a healer, but in a way you don’t want time to heal it because you still in a sense want to be in that middle point where it doesn’t feel real that it can be reversed and those minisclue seconds still happen. Because as time goes on, you lose those. And it makes me sick to my stomach to think that’s it forever, I just can’t seem to think like that.

I know everyone says ‘she’s with you’, she’s looking down on you. But I can’t seem to get in that place, going through her things to sort, seems so final and wrong.

Sorry this isn’t much help, but I want you to know that you’re not alone and that I am in the same frame of mind. Sending a huge hug. Xx