My wife died 9 months ago, June 2023.

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

The months have made no sense. I’ve become someone in search of something I know nothing about. I live with a kaleidoscope of emotions. Needy but wanting space. When I’m in, I want to be out. When I’m out I want to be in. An anti social recluse, fearing loneliness. I have indeed lost direction, my navigator is no longer by my side. I miss her beyond words.

Our girls worry about me....” please dad, don’t close your doors. don’t get to the end of your days regretting the years that have passed since mum died. She wouldn’t have wanted that for you”

So I plan trips, book holidays, even consider DIY....downsize house ?, I’m rattling around in an huge box of memories. I’ve been advised not to make huge decisions that I may later regret. I guess I’m getting there, just not sure where there is yet.

we are indeed a lost tribe, in search of stuff that makes no sense. J I’m gonna love and miss you forever 

• I know exactly how you feel. Used to be the life and soul but now I fear being out in large groups. Have you had counselling? I am tempted but not sure how it can help. 

• We have a local centre that operates to support both those who have been diagnosed with cancer and offers a space for people like ourselves who are either caring or grieving for a lost one

i tried bereavement counselling but didn’t find it helped. It was very much a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy type of model and I struggled with what I thought was a tick boxing exercise. I did however find the space offered to speak to like minded people beneficial. I’m sure many of us recoil when people say “I understand what you’re going through”.....it was comforting to mix with people who really did “understand”