Celebration of Life Ideas

• 4 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi,

Despite her incredible strength and determination, I lost my mum to cancer a few days ago. We are completely heartbroken as a family but know that mum would want us to be strong.

My mum didn't want a funeral so we were instead hoping to hold a celebration of life for her. She was loved by so many people and we would like to give her the send off that she deserves. Mum was only 60 (she 'celebrated' her big birthday in ICU, bless her) and was so full of light and happiness so a traditional, mournful event would not be appropriate.

I haven't ever been to a celebration of life ceremony before so any ideas on ways that we could make the day full of joy and happiness would be greatly appreciated. There will also be many young children in attendance so I would like to find activities for them too.

Thank you 

• Hi really sorry for your loss its all so sad when someone as young as your mom passes. I have been to a couple of celebration of life parties both very different. Party 1 was  held a few weeks after his passing and to me seemed like a funeral which seemed strange as he didnt want one.People were still mourning him so a sad occassion. Party 2 happened a few moths after the lady had passed as we waited for the weather to inprove because we wanted a nice sunny day to remember her as she was a bright sunny person. We had a garden party with food, drinks, balloons and floweres everywhere. We were asked to dress in bright colours and not to be sad just remember all the happy times we had had with this lady. We did a photo board and asked friends and family to bring any photos they had of her. We sat and chatted about all the good times and laughed and remembered her as she would of liked. The kids were told this is a party to remember her and because it was not a sad occassion they were fine. We also included some of her favourite foods and we played music she had liked. Tom Jones and Elvis went down a treat. Hope this helps x

• Hello I am so sorry for your loss. I lost mum in Sept quite suddenly. She also was only young at 58 and went only 8 weeks from diagnosis to passing away all of which were in hospital. I'm not sure if I am too late for your post but just wanted to reply as my mum shocked us all in the end choosing a celebration of life rather than a traditional catholic funeral that she was brought up with in her own family. We chose an amazing celebrant who told mums story perfectly including all the funny bits. We had ordered lots of prosecco for after as mum loved a prosec and we had photo albums and a lovely buffet at a local restaurant. We also wore pops of bright colours. It was so stsange because I was absolutely devastated but that day I pulled it together and it really was a celebration. I hope your day went as well as it possibly could if it has already happened and if not I hope this has given you some ideas x

• I'm so sorry for not replying to this sooner. Thank you for your ideas - we've decided to wait until the weather brightens up a bit too. 

• Thank you for your message. 

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your mum too and at such a young age.

What a lovely send off you organised for her! Thank you for sharing this. 

X