Supporting family

• 1 reply
  • 19 subscribers

Evening all, my father in law is at the end stages of his cancer fight. It’s likely he will pass away sometime in the next few weeks and I’m struggling. Trying to be strong for my husband but can’t come to terms with this myself! He’s so young and I have really loved having him in my life and my kids. I’m so sad that they won’t get to enjoy his company as they grow. Any help would be appreciated. X

• Hi,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I lost my Dad 6 months tomorrow to lung cancer. I have 3 children, 11, 13 and 9 months, my oldest 2 were so close to my Dad. 
    I don’t really have much advice, but we talk about my Dad all the time, we have lots of photos around and we talk about him everyday. Life will be different I won’t lie, I grieve for myself and my children, kids are resilient but I know they miss him so much. We spoke with my children when they needed to and then we have them space when we needed to but they are doing OK.

Cry when you need to, laugh when you want to and let yourself experience the emotions. I miss my Dad every single second of the day and still find it strange he isn’t here and can’t believe he isn’t.

look after yourself and your family x