I lost my mum on thursday

• 5 replies
  • 23 subscribers

My mum was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in March 2022. It was in her peritoneum, omentum and lymph nodes. She had to have an ileostomy due to a bowel blockage caused by the cancer.

She started capecitabine but it didn't work. She only did 2.5 lots of capecitabine as on the third time of having it, we all got covid and she couldn't stop being sick. She ended up in hospital and I think really she went downhill from there.

Because capecitabine didn't do anything, my mum ended up with skin mets and pleural effusion. She then moved on to paclitaxel but only managed to have one dose of it.

She kept having to go into hospital because her ileostomy stopped working due to blockages. Every hospital stay, she seemed to get worse and worse.

Last week she had to have her lung drained and ascites drained. She came home and couldn't walk up the stairs, she had to be carried. She had lost so much weight. One of her eyes had started to bulge and her vision was blurry.

She came home from hospital this Monday just gone and on the Tuesday I rung the macmillan nurse because I was so worried at how weak she had become.

The macmillan nurse spoke to the oncologist and on Wednesday he had my mum do an urgent head scan because of her eyes. The scan showed inflammation behind her eyes which he said was clearly cancer. The oncologist said he could see how much worse she had got and she was too sick for further chemo. He said to take the steroids she had and if she did improve a great deal then she could try chemo again next week but he very much doubted she would be well enough. He said I think you are coming to the end of your life.

I broke down. My mum started soothing me and saying it was OK. My mum was quiet and calm. She just said can we go home now. We spoke to the macmillan nurse after and she asked my mum how she would feel about a hospice because getting around at home was becoming so difficult. Mum agreed, she said maybe just for a few days. I asked my mum why she was so calm, was it because she was in shock or had had enough and she said she was just tired of it all. 

In private, the macmillan nurse told me she thought my mum had only weeks (I asked her this when we were away from my mum for a minute)

I was so shocked. I couldn't believe what we had been told. When I was strapping my mum into the car, I started crying on her shoulder and said please can you just not leave me. She said I'm not going to. 

We went home (my house as my mum had been staying with me since March and I had been looking after her the best I could) we took a longer way home, a way my mum loved to go. My brother had to come round and carry her upstairs. She said thank you to us and we said she didn't need to thank us, we wanted to help her and we loved her. We got her in bed and she asked me to go and get her a bottle of rhubarb gin from the shops which I did. She managed a small amount. She also asked for a few gulps of double cream, she loved fresh cream.

I kept asking if she wanted me to sit in the bedroom with her but she kept saying no.

That evening, she began bringing up brown vomit. She had had it before so I didn't think anything would become of it. But it got worse and I had to ring 111. They took about 5 hours to send a Dr out!! The Dr gave my mum some morphine and something to stop her being sick. My mum also had to agree to a dnar before he could give her it. The injection stopped the sickness but I felt so bad because she was laying naked in a dirty bed. The bed had the brown sick in a few different areas. All I could do was get my mum to sit forward so I could put a clean sheet on top of it all so she wasn't laying in it. My plan was to get her in the chair and do all the bedding and give her a proper wash when my brother arrived. I was too scared to do it alone incase she fell or something. I did wash her mouth but she asked me to stop. I kept asking if she wanted me to sit in the room with her and she kept saying no.

So the Dr came about 4.50am. I gave my mum a kiss on her head and told her I was proud of her after he had gone. I again asked if she wanted me in there but she said no. I checked on her again a couple more times, the last time being about 7.45 am. I asked her if she wanted anything and she said no she just needed to sleep, I asked her if she wanted me to sit in there and she said no. 

My brother arrived at about 8.20am and went to check on. I heard him say "mum, mum, mum" in a frantic tone. She was gone. He came down and told me I broke down. I couldn't believe it. How can someone go so quick? They said weeks.

I had my brother check her again because I couldn't believe it. I called my husband to come back and he checked. She was really gone.

My teenage son was still asleep so my husband woke him and took him to his aunties. We told him nan had gotten worse and needed to go to the hospice so he was going to his aunties so he didn't have to see her being taken out. I couldn't tell him she had passed away in the room next to him. Later on we told him nan had gone to the hospice and had some medicine and fallen asleep and not woken up.

We had to wait hours for the undertakers to be given permission to take mum. It was hell. I did go in and see her a few times. I asked her if she would wake up, I said sorry that I had let her down, I told her how much I loved her, I pleaded with her not to leave.

I don't know how to cope now. My mum was my best friend. She was the person I always wanted to spend time with. She was everything.

I have so much guilt. I struggled to care for her sometimes and would feel resentful. I never told her that obviously. The last few weeks I have been trying to encourage her to do more for herself because I wanted her to get some independence back. I didn't know she was so close to passing away.

I feel awful that she died alone. I should have insisted on being there. The thought of her being alone breaks me in half.

I feel so guilty she had dirty sheets under her. I was too scared to get her up alone so there was the brown vomit on the bed. I tried my best to cover it up with a clean cover so she was laying on that instead.

I can't stop picturing her in the last days and weeks. I used to work in care. I should have realised how near the end she was.

I'm also so angry at the hospital ward she was on last week. How did none of them realise how ill she was? It took me ringing the macmillan nurse. I feel she suffered more because I didn't have the support in place. If I had known how ill she was, I would have asked for support earlier. I would have spoke to my mum about a hospice before. I don't know how I didn't realise how downhill she had gone. I still had right to the end that chemo would somehow work.

I don't know how I'm going to go on now. I can't live without my mum. I don't know how to do it. I don't know how I can live in my house when my mum suffered in there so much. I don't know how to get over how I failed her. I should never have left her alone, I should have realised how ill she was.

I just need to get this out. I don't know how to cope.

I'm never going to be able to get rid of this guilt, I'm never going to be able to go back and do things differently, I let her down. I'm never going to be able to take back all the suffering she went through. This is unbearable. I'm never going to see my mum again, how will I ever come to terms with that? 

• Im so sorry for the loss of your mum. I lost my mum 3 weeks ago so completely understand the pain you are going through right now. Sending you a massive hug. I have felt guilty like you wishing that i had things different. Wishing that i had stayed in the guest bed in mums hospital room.  I have read that grief is different for everyone. So you have to do what works best for you, whatever that looks like.   I’m still trying to come to terms that my mum (my best friend) has gone. I try to hold onto the fact that mum knew i was doing my best to be there for her and that she knew how much i loved her. Please don’t be hard on yourself ( i know easier said than done).  You sound like an amazing person who truly loved and cared for their mum. 

• Dear Galaxy 

you have not let your mother down. I hear how much you cared in all your words. 

Looking after someone at the end of their life is hard and nothing is certain and it can be messy and unpredictable. Try not to punish yourself. 

All my sympathies 

• I'm so sorry, not only that you have lost your mum, but that you're feeling guilty. Your post is so similar in parts to my experience - my mum died 2 weeks ago, and like your mum she went downhill so quickly that we had no idea she was so close to the end.

Because it all happened over just a few days we couldn't get any support or carers in till the last evening - they freshened Mum up a little bit but like you I'm feeling so sad and guilty that she had been in the same clothes and sheets for days because I didn't know how to change her without hurting her. She was due to get washed properly in the morning but died an hour before the carers got there.

Like you I wish we'd got support earlier. On her final couple of nights she was unable to turn herself in bed so was in some pain. I wish I'd just googled how to turn her and tried anyway. My brother was here too but we still struggled to get her more comfortable.

I'm also feeling guilty for encouraging (nagging!) her to eat and drink more. I think if I'd have known it was the end I would have just said whatever she wanted was fine, but I know she was trying to eat a couple of spoons to make me happy, and we were thinking if she could just get a bit stronger she'd be better. I love the fact your Mum got her gin and cream! That would have made her happy I'm sure to have her favourite things she asked for.

The end was similar to your story too - I'd been in and out of her room all night, and last went in around 7.15 and she was finally asleep (which I think now was probably slipping into unconsciousness, but was such a relief to see her peaceful). 

I heard a noise about 8.30 and went back in, just to see her take a couple of deep breaths and then just stop breathing. I didn't want to wake her up so didn't even touch her - something else I wish I'd done differently. Why didn't I talk to her and touch her so she knew I was there? My brother had come in too and we were both so shocked we just stood there, we couldn't quite believe what just happened.

But what I'm telling myself, and would say to you too, is that she knew you were there all night - she knew she wasn't alone, you were all in the house with her and would be there whenever she called for you. 

You kissed her and told her you were proud of her while she was still able to hear and respond to you. What a lovely comforting safe thing for her to hear.

My Mum was due to get a hospital bed delivered the day she died. I know it doesn't really work like this but there's part of me that thinks she just wanted to go in her own bed, and that's quite comforting at the moment.

I think like your Mum she was just tired. Tired of not really being able to do anything, not being able to go for a walk or even make herself a cup of tea, and just feeling so unwell. Part of me is grateful that she only had a couple of days of being bedbound and having to be helped to sit up, and lifted onto the commode - I know she wouldn't have wanted that - even if it means we're all still in shock that she died so much sooner than any of us expected.

I think I'm just feeling numb at the moment and am dreading when it all really hits me.

Please be kind and gentle to yourself - you were there for her and gave her the comfort of knowing that. Even driving home the way she loved would have made her happy I'm sure. I hope some of those moments bring you comfort in time, it's clear how much you loved her.

Sending you love and strength

Xx

• I think what you say... "I try to hold onto the fact that mum knew i was doing my best to be there for her and that she knew how much i loved her."...is a really good way to thing about it. Sympathy to you both x

• I am so, so sorry for your loss.  I lost my mum in March and still feel devastated.  I miss her every single day.  I have put a separate post on the forum as I didn't want to hijack your post.

Please try to get rid of that guilt.  You have nothing to feel guilty for.  By the sounds of it you did your absolute best for your mum.  You have enough heartache to cope with because of the loss your mum - please try not to add guilt to that.

It is going to take time to adjust to life without your mum, I am still finding it difficult just over 5  months on.

Please take care of yourself, use this forum as an outlet, talk to whoever you feel comfortable talking to.  You need to look after yourself and take the time to heal.

The only comfort I can take from losing my mum is that she is no longer suffering x