They say time is a healer

• 4 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Morning all,

I just wanted to come on, not sure what I have to say really but I am now nearly 5 months into losing my beautiful Dad, I can’t believe it’s been nearly 5 months, also a few days away from it being a year since my parents told me about his diagnosis, how much life has changed in a year. I know people say time is a healer but I can’t see how life will get better or I will heal and how do you find that joy in things again because I will never have my Dad with me and I miss him so much. I will never see him be silly with my kids again, never pretend that Father Christmas has been, even though we are all grown up, never be able to have our family holidays with him, our joy has been taken. Some days I wake up and I can’t believe he isn’t here, I don’t feel like I have seen him or heard his voice in so long and I dread the thought of saying “he’s been gone 5, 10 years” etc, I just wish things were so different. I’m only 39 and never thought I would lose my Dad at a young age. 

xx 

• Sorry for your loss :(  lost my Dad in March and still trying to get my head around  it. 

Does time heal ? Well it will never truly heals but over time you adjust and have better coping mechanisms in place.

Last week he appeared in one of my dreams and it scared the life out of me. Did not expect that.

Here if you need to chat and there is also the Macmillan Help line 0808 808 00 00

Eddie

• Thank you Eddie and I’m also sorry for your loss. 

• I am sending you a massive hug. I lost my mum 5 years ago. Time does heal. Let me expand. I have felt what you feel now and 5 months is no time at all, its still all so raw, it will take as long as it takes for you to grieve I remember for me one day I just realised that I wouldn't be able to remember and laugh at the good times while I could only remember the time that mum was ill. I cant remember how long it was before I felt this way. maybe 2 or 3 years. Truth is I think that grief stays with you forever, you just learn to live with it. I hope that one day you are able to look forward to things again. What helped me was that I began to notice all of the similarities that I had with my mum, I noticed them in me and that keeps her here.  Give yourself time my lovely, there are no shortcuts but I promise you it will get easier, when you are ready XX

• Hi

Thank you for your reply, very wise words. I am also sorry for your loss. I just read your profile and my Dad too had Small Cell Lung Cancer, it’s a very cruel disease.

I miss him so much, I can’t believe he isn’t here and I wish so much he was here. You are right, noticing similarities, it does give comfort and I am so proud of him, I just wish things were different.

xxxx