First Father's Day without dad

• 5 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi,

I just wanted to reach out on this Father's Day to those of you who have also lost your dad.

I lost my dad 3 months ago so this is the first Father's Day without him. I'll be glad when it's over as it's been hard seeing all of the cards etc. In the shops.

My plan today is to just try and pretend that it's a normal day.

I feel like I should visit my dad's plot but I haven't been since the day after his funeral as I can't face it, but i feel like i am abandoning him.

I hope you are all doing okay. xxx

• Hi Link103, 

sending strength and support to you and all those missing their dads today.

your dad is with you wherever you are you carry his life around inside you he is not in his plot but with you always.

It’s been a really tough week for me with the run up to Father’s Day and a few days ago I came across an old birthday card my dad had sent to my son with a handwritten poem inside its precious but shocked me and the wave of grief and missing him so bloody much came crashing down on me.

Today I plan to have some alone time and potter around my dads garden this is where I feel close to him.

Thoughts are with you all 

xxxxx

• Hi,

Thinking of you all. Today will be a hard day. I bought a card and some other bits from my children and I printed off a poem that we are going to put in Grandad’s corner in the garden today. Feeling numb the last few days, hard to explain. Very surreal day.

However you spend your day, try and remember the good times, I know it’s hard as I’m still struggling not to focus on the sad stuff but I’m going to raise a glass tonight to my Dad as I am so damn proud of him!! They will be with us today.

Sending love xx 

• Thinking of you all today xx

• Hi Shinebright,

What a lovely thing to have found from your dad, but completely understandable how upsetting that would be.

I was just sitting in my lou he the other day when an ice cream van pulled up outside playing 'then has got it's hat on' and it made me so overwhelmingly sad as it reminded me how my dad used to sing that song.

It's so hard isnt it how the grief can just suddenly come up on you.

That sounds like you had a lovely plan to be close to your dad today.

I hope you are doing okay. xxx

• Hi Essex1,

That sounds like a lovely thing you had planned with your children.

I know what you mean about it being surreal. I still can't believe that my dad is gone.

I sat down today to read through some cycling trip memories that my dad's friend sent to me. It made me feel so sad, but it was lovely to read about some happy times he had.

Hope you are doing okay. xxx