My husband is dying

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Has anyone lost a husband around the age of 39 to stomach cancer? How did you cope? How did you look after them? We only found out 3 weeks and now they have said no treatment can be given and he's got days left to live.

• Hi,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I am nearly 39 and married with children and can imagine it must be absolutely world crushing for you. I lost my Dad in February to Lung Cancer, it’s a brutal disease that I wish never existed. 
    I’m sorry I can’t give much advice but there are a few people in this group who have lost their beloved husbands, hopefully they can give you better advice but all I would say is, come on here anytime to chat/vent or just air your thoughts, we all understand.

Take Care

Lucie x 

• Thank you Lucie. It's all happened so fast, he wasn't poorly 4 weeks ago. X

• Hi Jackie123,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.

My wonderful dad passed away just over 5 weeks ago after being diagnosed with stomach cancer in November. 

He went downhill so quickly during his last month which was a real shock. He never wanted to know his prognosis, but I knew from researching that stage 4 stomach cancer doesnt have a long prognosis. But I still thought there would be more warning before going downhill so rapidly. I'm still in shock that it all happened so fast and that he is no longer with us.

My dad became bed bound during his last few weeks as he had suffered from arthritis for years and he had a flare up. We thought it was just that, his arthritis, but the doctors said the cancer had caused the inflammation of it and it was progressing.

It was very hard looking after him at home as he couldnt walk and kept needing to wee all the time. I stayed with him and my mum for a week to help, but he went into a hospice for his last 3 weeks, which was the best place for him. Everyone was so lovely and looked after him so well.

The really good thing about hospice care, even if it's the community nurse who come out to see you, is that they are so supportive of the family as well ans offer bereavement counselling.

Do you have any kind of care coming in and helping, or would you consider a hospice?

I stayed at the hospice with my dad for his last few days and slept there overnight. I'm not going to lie, it was so tough and he was unconscious for his last few days, but I still stayed by his side. But I'm so glad I was there with him and he wasnt alone.

I so feel for you as I know how hard and awful this all is. Do you have supportive friends and family?

This group is so supportive though and we all know what your are going through, so come and chat go us anytime. You are not alone. xx