Grief and loss

• 6 replies
  • 21 subscribers

I don't think it matters who you have lost or how long it has been since you lost that person.  Grief and sadness is all so consuming.

• Hi jo31270 welcome to the forum. I agree with what you are saying in your post. Have you experienced a loss recently as well?    

gail

Community Champion Badge

• This is so true. I lost my husband on 25th March. I think the fact that everyone seems to be getting back to normal and I still feel so raw is what hurts so much. I have to go back to work soon. I gave up 18 months ago to look after him full time. I’m told it will do me good rather than sitting around the house. They’re probably right but it doesn’t feel right. I talk to him in my mind and sometimes out loud and would give anything to hear his voice again. I’ve taken to writing down my feelings and talking to him this way has helped a little.It still doesn’t seem real though. Every morning when I wake up I remember he’s not there anymore and never will be. It’s so hard.

• Hi Granny59, thankyou for the welcome.  I lost my mum 2 years ago on May 6th 2020.  I get on with my life because I  know I have to but the loss is still as huge as it was when she died. 

• Hi Carpetbagger,  please don't be so hard on yourself, it is still early days since losing your husband.  What is 'normal' when you have lost someone you love? There will never be the normal you once knew.  But somehow life still goes on and somehow we keep moving forwards whether we want to or not.  If it doesn't feel right to go back to work just yet then don't.  Only you know when you are ready.  I think the important thing to remember here is to acknowledge how you feel day to day and talk to people who you are close to.  If you feel sad, feel like crying, feel angry, feel at a loss, whatever you feel, just know that that is normal and perfectly acceptable.  Don't pretend you are ok if you really aren't.  Take little steps in doing things which help you feel ok and give you a sense of 'normal', Reach out to friends and family, go for a walk, be mindful in everything you do and appreciate the little things in life which bring you comfort and a degree of happiness.  If writing things down helps then do it and keep doing it.  

Grief is awful and can be all consuming but I'm sure that those we have lost and grieve for wouldn't want us to be sad and unhappy forever.  life goes on and so do we.  Big hugs to you xx

• Hi I lost my wife last July to ovarian cancer, shock and grief, we met at 18, I'm now a very fit at 73, females at my age seem to struggle with fitness use lots of meds. I'm destined to stay alone unfortunately.

• Very understandable feelings of shock and grief.  It's still such early days when you have been with someone a lifetime.  Take time to readjust to this new normal and just take small steps each day to move forwards. One day at a time.