1st Year Anniversary

• 1 reply
  • 18 subscribers

It was the 1st year anniversary of my mums death at weekend. I was expecting to be a blubbering mess but instead I just feel completely numb (just like when she first passed away) 

i feel so heavy but don't seem to be able to express and deal with it. 

I was really close with my mum and we would talk multiple times a day and talk about everything and anything, but this grief is nothing like I expected it would be. 

I just feel so lost in it all. I seem to be just going through the motions for my children and feel unable to find an outlet for the heaviness i feel. 

• Hi Joanne

The first anniversary is a re run of everything that happened when it happened and its very raw all over again. Its perfectly normal to experience these same emotions and numbness which is all part of the grieving process.  For me it's gotten easier as the years pass but never a day goes by that I don't think about my Dad or talk about him.

I had a mug made when my Dad died and when I need to talk to him, I get the mug out and say come on Dad let's have a cuppa together. It just has two photographs on it, one if him and one of a family get together. It's really helped me so last year when my exhusband passed I had one made for his daughters, Son in law and two Grandsons which they say helps them. 

Now is the time for you to access counselling to help you through your grief so talk to your GP, contact MIND if you have one locally or CRUSE if you have one locally.

Don't be hard on yourself, losing a parent is a very hard thing to process but you will find a way to learn to live with your loss. It's not something you will ever get over but you learn how to live again with your loss x x 

Take care

Julue